Panhandle Lake vs Obscurity Lake

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
OldHouseMan

Panhandle Lake vs Obscurity Lake

Post by OldHouseMan » September 29th, 2014, 7:26 pm

I haven't been to this side of the Mount Margaret Backcountry. For the sake of discussion...Which lake has the best camping? Swimming?

cfm

Re: Panhandle Lake vs Obscurity Lake

Post by cfm » September 29th, 2014, 11:51 pm

I recently hiked by Panhandle Lake and then camped at Obscurity Lake. This is my opinion: Panhandle Lake is prettier and the campsite area has better access to the lake with a couple open areas for enjoying the lakeside. The drawback is the two campsites are very close to each other. I think I would feel the wilderness experience diminished if I had to set up right next to another party out there. Obscurity Lake has more privacy, the two sites are not in view of each other (actually reached by two different access trails). The lake however, is surrounded by brush and the access from the camp area is through an alder tunnel. it leads you to a swampy area with one nice log for sitting, but it just felt a little hemmed in, not as open as Panhandle Lake.

I would recommend that if no-one else has a site reserved at Panhandle, take it. If you dont mind being in view of another tent, take it. If you prefer obscurity, go to Obscurity!

Peder

Post by Peder » September 30th, 2014, 12:22 am

cfm is correct!

I have always wished to camp at Panhandle Lake!

Panhandle Lake
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » September 30th, 2014, 12:28 am

cfm has it right. I have camped at Obscurity in the past. I was under the impression from the ranger at the time that there was only one official site at Obscurity. That was why I camped there. That was several years ago. However , the site isn't at the lake and the lake has a lot of brush. I agree that Panhandle is better overall. As cfm stated though there are two sites pretty close to each other. I have used the reservation site and tried to multiple book a site to see if there is someone else registered at the site. If that makes any sense? I expect by late Oct. you maybe alone, thou bear in mind what the rangers told me before. Hunters do use these lake sites. Thanks for including photo Peder. I was wondering how much trouble it would take to scan something for use.

I went back and scanned some old film from 2008? This was just a motivation to start. The first 3 are of Obscurity Lake and the red star is approximately where my camp pad and tent was. If there is another site at Obscurity I'm uncertain where. As you can see even back then there was a fair amount of brush and not really any shore for enjoyment of the lake. The last photo is another capture of Panhandle Lake taken above on the trail to Shovel Lake. As with Peder's photo it shows the flat open area that has the two tent sites.

Sorry nothing newer. I was there just last week, but spent my time up on the Boundary Trail as I'm more a views person than a lake sort. :roll:
Attachments
Obscurity Lake 001.jpg
Obscurity Lake 002.jpg
Obscurity Lake 003.jpg
Panhandle Lake 001.jpg
Last edited by Steve20050 on September 30th, 2014, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peder

Post by Peder » September 30th, 2014, 6:20 am

Steve20050 wrote:Thanks for including photo Peder.
Every time I pass, I dream of floating around on Panhandle Lake on an air-mattress or something... One day I will camp there and bring a flotation device! :D (Jealous if you do it before me!) Have lots of fun!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Surridge

Post by Surridge » September 30th, 2014, 8:54 am

shovel lake is totally worth the extra effort. Off the main lake trail so no traffic.

Water

Post by Water » September 30th, 2014, 3:43 pm

stayed alone at shovel lake last october. dark, cold, fresh crunchy snow up higher. very pretty. good lake for swimming (not that you'd want to this time of year..)
Feel Free to Feel Free

OldHouseMan

Post by OldHouseMan » September 30th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Thanks for the tips everybody. Both of these lakes are closer to halfway on my trip, but I'm leaning toward Panhandle Lake. Shovel Lake is definitely on my radar and due to it's location off of the main route, would be my preference, but I would half to push it a little farther than I'd like to make it on my first day.

Peder

Post by Peder » October 1st, 2014, 12:17 am

OldHouseMan wrote:Shovel Lake is definitely on my radar and due to it's location off of the main route
Beware - it is quite a ways down to the Shovel Lake campsite (500' height difference?) and part of the trail was washed out two years ago.

BeaverDawg

Post by BeaverDawg » October 4th, 2014, 5:55 am

My vote between the two would be Panhandle, hands down. The during the summer there can be a very nice beach right at the inlet and access from the camp sites is easy. Enjoy!
Attachments
2.14.jpg
Enjoying Panhandle Lake