Glacier Peak loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
turtle

Glacier Peak loop

Post by turtle » September 13th, 2014, 7:44 am

I'm hoping to jump off on this on Monday and take 7-8 days for the roughly 100 miles. I was thinking to go clockwise starting from White River Falls campground. Is the North Fork Sauk River TH just up Rd 6400 from the campground? I would use trail 1502-Indian Creek-to connect to the PCT, then PCT up and around to Buck Creek trail 1513, then Little Giant to Boulder Pass to White River south to the car. NOAA spot weather reports seems pretty good not great.

Any current info on road/trail conditions and/or navigation tips on the road to the TH would be appreciated. Any other info people think would be helpful would be great. Thanks everyone. :)

Edited by me to correct bad trail information.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Surridge

Re: Glacier Peak loop

Post by Surridge » September 15th, 2014, 9:07 am

Please give us a report after the hike. Also any map/trail info would be appreciated. Sounds like a great hike

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 15th, 2014, 1:01 pm

That should be a great loop, have fun! I don't know trail conditions for the whole route. Portions of it might be somewhat neglected due to the Suiattle River Rd. being washed out for almost a decade limiting access to some of the NW part of the loop. I will add that White River is on the SE side near Lake Wenatchee and NF Sauk River trail is on the SW side, accessed from Darrington or Granite Falls. Lots of great terrain up there. Some really good side trip options. I don't know the exact route. If you are at Buck Creek Pass then it's totally worth taking a day or half day towards High Pass and Triad Lake. Maybe the route goes there anyway if it drops down into the Napeequa Valley. From White Pass taking Foam Creek over to White Chuck Basin is also very worthwhile. Definitely looking forward to seeing a TR. This doesn't get anywhere near the traffic as the Wonderland Trail around Rainier but probably beats it quite handily overall for scenery. Wonderland has some climatic views but lots of walking thru the woods. Around Glacier Peak keeps you up high on ridges for significant stretches.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » September 16th, 2014, 10:47 am

There are a few trip reports on NW Hikers about this, but this is the one that comes to mind: http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... ot+springs

It's pretty difficult and involves a lot of trail that doesn't get maintained very often but it looks incredible.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » September 20th, 2014, 10:00 am

Here's a couple TR's that include sections of the around the mountain.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=