Looking for a short, beautiful, and romantic hike.

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Peder

Re: Looking for a short, beautiful, and romantic hike.

Post by Peder » September 16th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Welcome Watchpocket - should you not be "Ringpocket"? I think that Wahclella Falls is an excellent idea. An alternative option is Hamilton Island, just downstream of the Bonneville Dam on the WA side of the Columbia River.
Hamilton Island

If you are here between now and November, you can even aim for the adjacent Ives Island (privacy very assured :) ), where there are interesting remnants of fish wheels. PM me if you wish for instructions.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mcds

Post by mcds » September 16th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Just make sure he's not there, or is there: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... 2c2a7c6cf7

Watchpocket

Post by Watchpocket » September 17th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Ok, so I've done a lot of research on a bunch of different places that you guys have suggested. One of the places that stands out to me the most is Owl Point. I love that view of the mountain and I think it will make an amazing backdrop to our proposal. Can anyone that's been to owl point tell me if there is room to set up a tripod with a good view of the mountain as well as the viewing area? The idea is to take a video camera/tripod and set it up to get a recording of me an her in front of the mountain so I can get the proposal on film. I haven't seen any pictures of the path area so I'm not sure if there is room enough to set the camera back far enough to get us and the mountain in the camera view at the same time. Also I've read that getting a car without awd to the trail head can be tricky, is this true? I will be in a rental car (most likely a Ford Fusion or Chrysler 200).

If for whatever reason you guys think this wont work for my plans do you have any other suggestions for a good view of the mountain? I like the pictures that I've seen from the Mirror Lake view point but I wasn't sure how busy this area would be. We're most likely going to be there around this time next year.

Thanks so much for all your guys' help, you've been awesome helping me plan his really important moment in my life!

-John Watchpocket (If only Ringpocket were my last name, Peder) =P

mcds

Post by mcds » September 18th, 2014, 8:48 am

Lost Lake. Drive is all pavement. Short hike mostly lakeside around the lake through some big trees. The north shore has good sunset views of Hood and a numerous enough to find one with privacy on a weekday (but not weekend). Dinner at Celilo in Hood River.

Peder

Post by Peder » September 18th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Watchpocket wrote:One of the places that stands out to me the most is Owl Point. I love that view of the mountain and I think it will make an amazing backdrop to our proposal.
Owl Point is a perfect choice, though I would have a back-up plan for inclement weather. You can get any car to the trail head in my opinion, I know that my wife's Hyundai Accent has been there without any trouble. One warning: print out the trail head driving instructions from the Field Guide, as people tend to get lost when driving there. That would be a most inconvenient start to one of the most important days in your life! I checked the driving instructions and they are correct.

You may also wish to bring the hike instructions, as it is not all that obvious one you are in the vicinity of Owl Point. It has been a few years since I was there and meanwhile Owl Point has become one of the 100 hikes in our local Hiking Bible written by Sullivan. The increased number of visits should make it easier to find your way.

Finally, when you hike to Owl Point, you turn left just before a wilderness registration box not far from the trail head. The forest just to the south of this registration box burned in 2011, so on your way back from Owl Point, you may wish to continue a little ways south past the registration box to visit the burnt forest. It is quite the sight.

I am not a tripod expert, but I would imagine that those can be set up in most places...

Have fun!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…