Minto Pass Trail from Marion Lk to Wasco Lk?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Crusak

Minto Pass Trail from Marion Lk to Wasco Lk?

Post by Crusak » August 31st, 2014, 10:05 pm

I'm wondering about any recent hiking any of you have done on the Minto Pass Trail in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness. I'm particularly interested in the portion between Wasco Lake and the junction with the junction with the Bowerman Lake Trail to the north.

Here's a screenshot of the NW Topos map of the area. I put big white stars on the section of trail I'm curious about:
minto pass screenshot.jpg
I did several searches of TRs in the general area, and from what I found the answer isn't likely to be encouraging. I also read discussions about decommissioned trails in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness, including the Minto Pass Trail. So I'm expecting that the trail is difficult or impossible to follow.

It seems that some of you have attempted to hike the Minto Pass Trail this year. I'm interested in details about your success or failure.

Thank you in advance!
:)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

ewbadz

Re: Minto Pass Trail from Marion Lk to Wasco Lk?

Post by ewbadz » September 1st, 2014, 2:16 pm

Crusak,

I was last on that trail 3 years ago so my info may be out of date. Almost all of the trail is thru burn. First half there was brush encroaching on the trail... Nothing to trip over but you were brushing against it on the sides. Once you begin the climb up it thins out and the trail becomes more sandy, typical of the trails in the Jefferson Wilderness that were burned. Not much blowdown that I can remember if any and the trail is still easy to follow.

Hope this helps, Happy Trails!

kaltbluter

Re: Minto Pass Trail from Marion Lk to Wasco Lk?

Post by kaltbluter » September 3rd, 2014, 8:50 am

I was on that section in July this year. Posted a trip report here.

The section of trail you're asking about had a lot of blow downs and was pretty overgrown in areas. I wouldn't want to take my six year old on it and I wouldn't want to push through some of the thicker sections of brush with shorts on. If I remember correctly, almost the whole trail is burned too so you get pretty hot in the sun.

It's still much easier than going off trail.

I think this is the only picture I took on that section. The overgrowth shown is worse than average but you get the idea.