Help a non-local find a hike near Cascade Locks?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
snowdeuce

Help a non-local find a hike near Cascade Locks?

Post by snowdeuce » April 21st, 2014, 11:50 am

Hello Portland hikers!

I'm attending PCTA's trail skills college this weekend with a friend, and we'd like to do some hiking in our downtime. Can anyone recommend a trail within a 45-minute drive from Stevenson/Cascade Locks, 2-5 miles each way, elevation gain not more than about 1500 ft? Preferrably nothing super-steep; 500-700 ft gain/mile is ok, but those 1000ft/mile climbs are pretty rough on my injured foot.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

retired jerry

Re: Help a non-local find a hike near Cascade Locks?

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2014, 11:57 am

Eagle Creek?

If that's too busy, Herman Creek?

Or just walk from Cascade Locks South on the PCT

Check out the field guide for details

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 21st, 2014, 4:26 pm

retired jerry wrote:
Or just walk from Cascade Locks South on the PCT

Check out the field guide for details
Yep. Dry Creek Falls on the PCT. About 700 feet of elevation, no more than 4.5 miles roundtrip. Start under the Bridge of the Gods, cross the road and park, pick up the trail along the toll booth road, under the highway and turn right and make your first left. The rest is very easy to follow. Enjoy!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

snowdeuce

Post by snowdeuce » April 21st, 2014, 4:36 pm

Thanks guys, especially to retired Jerry for pointing me to the trail guide. My local hiking site doesn't have a guide; didn't occur to me to look for one here.

Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls is the *one* hike that I've done in OR so far, but it's still on the list of possibilities.

A gentle stroll on the PCT sounds like a fine idea as well...once we get past all the trail skills "classrooms."

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 21st, 2014, 8:54 pm

Or, if you don't mind a few miles' drive, go west on I-84 to Ainsworth, take the Scenic Highway to Horsetail Falls, and hike the Horsetail/Onenta Loop with a side trip to Triple Falls. About 4.5 miles. and you'll see several waterfalls, including walking behind Pony Tail Falls.

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » April 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am

If you decide on the Dry Creek falls trail after you get to the waterfall and come back to the intersection with the bridge that you did not go over to get to the falls....if you still have the energy you can cross that bridge and hike along the pct another mile or so for a couple of nice viewpoints over the river and then some very cool rock formations known as "The Pinnacles". It's a great hike and then you can say you have hiked the PCT!
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington