West Coast Trail, Vancouver Island

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
OldHouseMan

West Coast Trail, Vancouver Island

Post by OldHouseMan » April 8th, 2014, 1:01 pm

My wife and I have this trail on our list for September. I have been reading up on it, but if anybody has any info or experience they would like to share, I'd love to hear it.

sgyoung

Re: West Coast Trail, Vancouver Island

Post by sgyoung » April 13th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I don't know that I have much useful information, other than to say that my wife and I spent a few days in Tahsis, BC, which is on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It was great place to hang out and explore some interesting hiking trails, although it would be a difficult town to live in I imagine (most supplies are brought in by a boat and it was tiny). I believe the town is north of the territory covered by the west coast trail, but in general it's beautiful on the west coast of Vancouver Island, and remote as well.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2014, 3:16 pm

I don't know that I have much useful information :)

Vancouver Island is nice. Takes a long time to get there. The ferry from Tsawwassen in Vancouver is cheaper and has more sailings.

I've heard the trail is really rugged. Lots of mud. A couple places you take a ferry? But you got that if you've been researching.

Since it takes so long to get there, and the trail is so difficult, it isn't real high on my list, but I've read reports that said it was really great, got to do it at least once.

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » April 15th, 2014, 6:57 pm

I did it a couple years ago...it's awesome!

We took the ferry from Anacortes (my hiking buddy was from Everett, so it made sense), you can also take it from Port Angeles, leave your car in Port Renfrew, trailbus to Bamfield, and start walking south...there are arguments to do it NOBO, I liked doing it SOBO. Our packs were much lighter during the "difficult" part of the trail, where if you go NOBO, you deal with that first with more weight in your pack. Either way, bring plenty of cash for a stop at Chez Moniques to grab a burger and snacks (or breakfast, depending on time of day). You can also get fresh salmon at the Nitinat Narrows, also bring money for that and have lunch there.

My only other piece of advice is to pay attention to the tides and try to spend most of your time on the beach/tidal shelf, instead of the trail inland because they are in various states of disrepair. :)
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Chase

Post by Chase » April 16th, 2014, 5:47 am

My favorite part was the caves option when the trail splits dramatically a few miles from Renfrew. As was previously mentioned, however, watch the tides.

September should be less muddy.

Be patient with all the transportation.

I'd do it again and will someday.

Have fun!

drm

Post by drm » April 16th, 2014, 6:51 am

It's on my possible list this year. I'm planning my "big" summer trip to be to Canada. While the Canadian Rockies may be a notch higher on the list, the shorter drive to Vancouver Island means that it is there as well. There are other options on the island besides this trial, but it is one of them.

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » April 16th, 2014, 4:16 pm

You could also do the Juan de Fuca Trail too...or both...depends on how much time you have. We met a couple people who were doing both the WCT and the JdFT.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

OldHouseMan

Post by OldHouseMan » April 18th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Thanks for the tips. I was also able to find some good info on NW Hikers.