Trailkeepers of Oregon Work Party - Douglas Trail

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Ryan Ojerio

Trailkeepers of Oregon Work Party - Douglas Trail

Post by Ryan Ojerio » October 24th, 2011, 6:19 am

Thanks to all the volunteers who joined up with TKO to work on the Douglas Trail on Saturday. We opened up the first 1/2 mile so you can see the trail now. The colors were fabulous and the weather was perfect for diggin' and loppin'.

The day had a dicey start at the Eagle Creek "trailhead" we came upon a carload of young men with automatic weapons. Luckily my Obi-wan Jedi mind trick worked on them "this isn't the shooting range you are looking for...move along" Actually they were polite and once they realized there was a trail there they packed up and left saying they didn't want to endanger anyone.

After hiking down the old road that is the start of the Eagle Creek trail, we started work on the Douglas Trail. For the first 50 ft. we did a clinic on tread reconstruction using the pulaski and McLoed to restore the outslope so water doesn't run down the trail.

Then we kicked it into lopper mode to brush out the corridor.

TKO had a work party here three years ago, its amazing how quickly the vegetation has grown back. Walking through the brushy sections when the leaves are wet is like going through a car wash.

Before

After

A typical brushy section of the trail

We used a grass whip to cut back the Oregon grape, salal and sword fern were it was crowding over the tread. Its nice to be free to look up the Eagle Creek valley off in the distance rather than having to watch your feet for hidden trippers.

Thanks everyone for a fun and rewarding day!
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Splintercat

Re: Trailkeepers of Oregon Work Party - Douglas Trail

Post by Splintercat » October 24th, 2011, 6:55 am

Awesome work, Ryan! I recognize some Portland Hikers among the volunteers, too -- that's cool! The before-and-after shots are outstanding, and especially your comment that a work party had been up there just three years ago. It really helps hikers appreciate how much maintenance a trail like this requires in order to be there for our much-needed weekend hikes. Thanks!

Tom :)

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » October 24th, 2011, 7:16 am

The TKO work party was a fun and educational volunteer experience. Ryan and the two volunteers with lots of trail maintenance experience did an excellent job of showing the newbies how to use the different tools and the standards for a hiker/equestrian use trail. Looking forward to the next one in spring, which should be about the time my muscles recover. :lol: Just kidding! Swinging the grass whip is an excellent upper body workout. I'm excited to reap the rewards and hike the Douglas Trail up to Wildcat Mountain. Will definitely wear bright colors again (I'm the one in red).
Kam

seemore

Post by seemore » October 24th, 2011, 7:51 am

This was a very enjoyable and rewarding experience for my first TKO work party. (Me in the white hat.) I really enjoyed getting to know the others in the group and learning about trail maintenance. Ryan, you are a great teacher and team leader. I look forward to many more work parties.

Bob (aka seemore)

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » October 24th, 2011, 8:24 am

Thank you for your work folks!!! Ryan is one of the coolest people you could ever hope to meet, and an excellent ambassador for the trails!

Thum

Post by Thum » October 24th, 2011, 8:42 am

great job everyone, glad you didnt have any trouble with the guys with guns. I'd love to do some work on the trails when your group goes out next time.

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » October 25th, 2011, 7:35 am

Thank you so much for your hard work. The trail looks fabulous !
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda