Indian Heaven - 9/17/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arundodonax

Indian Heaven - 9/17/11

Post by arundodonax » September 17th, 2011, 8:01 pm

This isn't the most exciting trip report, but I wanted to share the photos, because I think the fogged up lens made some kinda cool pictures.

For some reason, I really like Indian Heaven. But for some reason, I can only seem to get there when it's in a big raincloud. Today, I think it was a combination of our weather, plus what seems to be the perennial fog that just doesn't leave that place. That being said, it was still great.

I got to the Sawtooth Trailhead around 10:30—things were pretty crowded for a rainy day. I saw at least 5 groups (but no PCT hikers) on the trail. I decided to do a loop down to Junction Lake, back up to Clear Lake, with a detour to Deep Lake, and then back up to the trailhead, via Sawtooth Mountain.

Of note were several bow hunters seen on the way in, and an incessant shotgun being fired at Clear Lake. I couldn't see who it was because of the thick fog, but it seems like they were probably target shooting. Kinda makes me wish I was wearing orange.

The trail up to Sawtooth Mountain is in okay shape, but there are several blowdowns. Also the USGS maps are inaccurate for that section.

The huckleberries are coming in great right around Sawtooth trailhead. Still too early for the rest of IH, though.

20.5 miles, 1750' gained

I'm guessing these red berries are poisonous?

The pines in IH are really special. Doug firs, right?

I love this stuff. Anyone know what it's called?

Deep Lake. All the lakes were fogged in like this today.

Lupine was the flower du jour. Also, a smattering of paintbrush and a pink pollen-y looking flower.

The view from Sawtooth.

Hiding in the background behind the clouds is Adams.

The berries are on their way!

Excursionista

Re: Indian Heaven - 9/17/11

Post by Excursionista » September 17th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Nice report! Indian Heaven is one of my favorite places, rain or shine. Try it in October if you can get a clear, cold day - the fall colors on the huckleberries and frost on the ground make for great contrast with the forest. Of course, that's a big if!

As for you ID questions, here are a few guesses (correct me if I'm wrong).

Photo #2 looks like noble fir.

Photo #3 looks like mountain hemlock.

Photo #4 looks like a lichen called Witch's Hair. The height at which it appears on trees is an indicator of the snow-line.

Photo #5 includes trees that might be subalpine pine.

Hope that helps!

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » September 17th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Your first picture is mountain ash but I cant find much on edibility.... Sounds like if they are, they taste pretty foul. Some site said they have cyanide in the seeds. I'd play it safe and say to not eat them :)
Jamey Pyles

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » September 18th, 2011, 8:58 am

Great to know, thanks!

I think the mountain ash is also called Rowan. More details at the ever-definitive Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 18th, 2011, 10:02 am

Sitka mountain-ash berries are not toxic... but they don't taste very good.

By the way, mountain-ash is in the rose family, and there's very little in the rose family that's poisonous. Apples, raspberries, blackberries, thimbleberries, salmonberries, strawberries, serviceberries, hawthorne, cherries, peaches, almonds... they're ALL Rosaceae. Yes, some of the seeds contain cyanide compounds, but you'd have to eat a lot of apple seeds or wild almonds to have them adversely affect you.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 18th, 2011, 10:27 am

Thanks for sharing your pics - LOVE those kind of days up in the clouds! Not that we have to try real hard to find that kind of weather from this point forward, of course... :lol:

-Tom :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 18th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Your trip looks sooooo Indian Heaven-ish! Most trips I've taken up there had just about the same conditions.

And of course, the question that everyone asks when someone has been up there: how 'bout dem skeeters? :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

awildman

Post by awildman » September 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Perfect Sasquatch watchin' weather!

Rambling on at Allison Outside

Thum

Post by Thum » September 18th, 2011, 4:10 pm

two thums up for the awesome report. looks like it's time to break out the orange again. dont want to be the body bag on the news cam close up when the reporter asks the hunter, "what happened?"

Hunter: "I thought it was a deer"

Thum

Post by Thum » September 18th, 2011, 4:10 pm

lol at wildman