Battle Ax Mountain 9-10-11 (Bull of the Woods Wilderness)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
EFGPacificNorthwest

Battle Ax Mountain 9-10-11 (Bull of the Woods Wilderness)

Post by EFGPacificNorthwest » September 14th, 2011, 12:52 pm

This hike starts not far from Elk Lake, which is north on the "high clearance" FS road #4697 from Detroit Lake. To get to the trailhead continue on #4697 past Elk Lake about two miles to the wilderness "no parking" turnabout where the trail to three trailheads begins, and the road ends. We decided to climb Battle Ax to get a view of the Twin Lakes wildfire in the Bull of the Woods wilderness and got lose permission from the Elk Lake ranger girl. Elk Lake was covered in smoke the night before and we knew the fire was growing a mile or two away and that this was our only chance to get a good view before the area wasn't just closed (it was).
EL2.JPG
Battle Ax Mountain and Trailhead.
Unfortunately the trail up Battle Ax was a real pain in the Ax. 1,000 ft. elevation gain per mile and dirt slides on the sides made this a difficult climb, especially with a dog. None the less we made it just short of the "lookout" due to shear exhaustion and no rock climbing equipment. We did find what looked like an old wild west battle scene right before the top, would be interesting if others knew about it, anywho, here are the photos..
EL3.JPG
EL4.JPG
EL5.JPG
EL6.JPG
EL7.JPG
EL8.JPG
EL9.JPG
EL10.JPG
EL11.JPG
The fire made us breath in smoke the whole trail and never gave us the glory photograph, oh well, it was a blast!
Attachments
EL9.JPG

kelkev

Re: Battle Ax Mountain 9-10-11 (Bull of the Woods Wilderness

Post by kelkev » September 14th, 2011, 3:12 pm

I love the large "parking area" at Beachie Saddle. Must be leftover from the 1950's. I don't think it's been possible to actually drive anything to the saddle in ages - that "road" between Elk Lake and Beachie Saddle was full of major washouts and seriously brushed in the last time I hiked up to Mt. Beachie.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

EFGPacificNorthwest

Re: Battle Ax Mountain 9-10-11 (Bull of the Woods Wilderness

Post by EFGPacificNorthwest » September 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm

We were wondering about Beachie, someone sure took a disliking to the brown trailhead sign, it had been shot some hundred times or so, no wonder the ranger station doesn't want FS #4697 open any longer, people off of Elk Lake can be downright disrespectful to the wilderness, not all of them, but too many!

We also tried #3339 into the Opal Creek Wilderness hoping to investigate old Blue Jay Mine but turned back about a mile and a half down as the trail was overgrown completely by tangles of Salmonberry. Dispite the delicious snack we turned around to conquer Battle Ax. Thanks for the reply kelkev, happy trails!