Other hikes in Silver Falls

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Martell

Other hikes in Silver Falls

Post by Martell » September 25th, 2008, 10:00 am

I was looking at the Silver Falls map and noticed there are a whole bunch of trails other than the trail of ten falls. Has anyone done any of these and are they worth checking out?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

jimsiff

Re: Other hikes in Silver Falls

Post by jimsiff » September 25th, 2008, 10:41 am

I did the Maple Ridge Trail as part of a Silver Falls loop a few years ago in December because the South Falls area was completely iced over. We had to skip the trail behind South Falls and Lower South Falls which was a bummer. Maple Ridge Trail is nice, but not worth it unless the main trail is impassable for whatever reason.

edit - meant "not worth it..."
Last edited by jimsiff on September 25th, 2008, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim

Martell

Post by Martell » September 25th, 2008, 10:49 am

I think I was on the Maple Ridge Trail for part of a loop once.

There are also a ton of trails away from the main area: Perimeter trail, Racket Ridge, Buck Mountain Loop, Smith Creek, Howard Creek. I was curious about those.

Check out page 2 of this map: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/ ... ailmap.pdf
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

cfm

Post by cfm » September 25th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Hi Dan,

I've biked the Buck Mountain loop, there is no real summit though. It's all in deep forest: solitude, big trees but no views or waterfalls. I actually did this on a sunny holiday and absolutely no- one on the trail.

A good loop I've done is to start at North falls, take Perimeter up, and the Racket Ridge down through the Howard Horse camp, then you can return to your car along the rim trail. Again don't expect to see anyone out there until you get back to the lodge.