Elk Mountain - Elk Creek Loop 08-31-11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Crusak

Elk Mountain - Elk Creek Loop 08-31-11

Post by Crusak » August 31st, 2011, 7:19 pm

Yes, just another loop in the Coast Range. No, I've never done this particular combination before. Yes, this was my first solo trip up Elk Mountain. No, I am not yet tired of hiking in this area. :)

I wasn't going to post a TR, but then I changed my mind. From what I could determine the only other member I've seen post a TR with a loop like this was 'Thum' so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I think this is a nice option for those of you who don't want to tackle both Elk and Kings in one day, or try to go up AND down Elk Mountain... :shock: At the bottom I posted the profile, which shows the more gentle descent of the Elk Creek Trail.

Today was the last day of my mini-vacation. I was supposed to be in Jefferson Park over the past few days.... but oh well. Not wanting to drive through Portland to get to something different, I chose my favorite 'local' trail system yet again. The Kings-Elk-Wilson River trails are 45-50 minutes from my house, so it's hard to resist.

8.4 miles, 2817 ft elevation gain, 3 hrs 56 minutes total 'moving' time. The weather was cool (53° at the TH) and I was occasionally doused with a bit of drizzle. In the upper elevations I had to put on a layer because it got chilly.

I played with the new camera a bit today. I'm liking it much better than my old one. Here are some pictures from the hike.
view from Elk Mtn trail.jpg
Kings from Elk Mtn trail.jpg
summit sign.jpg
zoomed in on Kings from Elk summit.jpg
3-way junction.jpg
slug dining on aged gourmet poo.jpg
foxglove.jpg
the occasional berry.jpg
The GPX file:
Elk_Mtn-Elk_Creek.gpx
(234.12 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
profile Elk Mtn - Elk Creek.JPG
Elk Mtn to Elk Creek Trail loop.JPG
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Re: Elk Mountain - Elk Creek Loop 08-31-11

Post by mayhem » August 31st, 2011, 8:55 pm

Way to go! It feels good to go up Hell.. I mean Elk & down the recliner... I mean Elk Creek :). I was waving to you from Kings summit.. but I'm guessing I missed you by 7hrs or so I headed down Kings around 7:30. That is just too late now days.
O I forgot to ask if you saw the Rescue garbage on elk creek ? I'm going out tomorrow to clean it up :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 31st, 2011, 10:44 pm

mayhem wrote:...O I forgot to ask if you saw the Rescue garbage on elk creek ? I'm going out tomorrow to clean it up :)
I neglected to mention that at the top of Elk Mtn I was confronted by a large, aggressive dog. There was a guy camped at the top of Elk, under a tarp, when I arrived. His dog was aggressive and would not let up, so I only took a 10-minute standing break and headed down the back side. Because of that, I didn't get to take a look around. :(
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Thum

Post by Thum » September 1st, 2011, 11:24 am

nice job on the loop crusak:) youve got to get one more loop hike planned down there before the summers over, with mayhem, ep etc. I missed the last one:(

thanks for posting the profile of elk.

chadlwilliams

Post by chadlwilliams » September 1st, 2011, 2:55 pm

Nice hike. I did the same loop back on Memorial Day, except in reverse, up Elk Creek and down Elk Mtn. It wasn't so bad, going down like that. I need to get back out there soon, maybe up to King's and back into shape in general. Tackling in St. Helens in a month!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 1st, 2011, 10:07 pm

chadlwilliams wrote:Nice hike. I did the same loop back on Memorial Day, except in reverse, up Elk Creek and down Elk Mtn. It wasn't so bad, going down like that. I need to get back out there soon, maybe up to King's and back into shape in general. Tackling in St. Helens in a month!

I guess to each his own! I however think going Down Elk is kind of dangerous. I have done it many times in many different conditions & not once did I think it was not so bad! :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 1st, 2011, 10:23 pm

That first stretch down the back side of Elk Mtn is a bit hairy - on this hike, since I was solo I took it v-e-r-y slow and careful. Once you get past that though it's just the kitties on 'Cougar Ridge' you have to worry about, right? :shock:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 1st, 2011, 10:26 pm

Crusak wrote:That first stretch down the back side of Elk Mtn is a bit hairy - on this hike, since I was solo I took it v-e-r-y slow and careful. Once you get past that though it's just the kitties on 'Cougar Ridge' you have to worry about, right? :shock:
Correct! :)

DennisTheMenace

Post by DennisTheMenace » September 1st, 2011, 10:55 pm

dang Crusak. Your level of improvement in terms of speed is just incredible.
I haven't done that loop that fast or even the elk-kings loop quite as fast as
your first time.

Good job

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 2nd, 2011, 12:51 am

[attachment=7]zoomed in on Kings from Elk summit.

Touché Super zoom Elk from Kings