Olallie Butte 30-Aug-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Olallie Butte 30-Aug-2011

Post by VanMarmot » August 30th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Today’s staycation hike was Olallie Butte. The long thread on this site about respecting reservation land didn’t make my decision to (technically) trespass any easier but I’m weak, and so succumbed to my desire to hike the Butte just once. My penance was to expand my usual trash collecting activities to include (a one time offer!) burying other folks TP – of which there seemed to be a lot along the trail :shock:. I guess when you’re already trespassing, taking a pee/poop on the living room floor and decorating the furniture with tissue paper is acceptable? (NOT! :x ). Anyway, SummitPost has accurate directions to the TH (arrow), which is cunningly disguised as a road.

Once I found it, the trail just got better and better as it climbed higher through the forest. Finally the trees parted to offer a view of Hood to the N.

When I got to the top, there was another view of Hood, looking past the old lookout structure. The lookout was abandoned in 1967 and was, at least in 1969, the last remaining example of a cupola-type lookout cabin in Oregon. Since then it’s fallen very heavily on hard times.

To the E, I could see several of the large fires that are ravaging the Warm Springs Reservation.

The fire line seemed to extend for several miles to the N and there were a number of smaller blazes throwing up smoke plumes elsewhere on the reservation.

To the S, I could see Jefferson, the Sisters, Black Butte, and (maybe) Theilsen. In the foreground is the burn that almost took out the Olallie Lake resort a few years back (plus another new small fire on the left).

After that it was a quick return to the TH and a long(ish) drive back to Portland. Short hike (7 mi, 2400’) but BIG, BIG views!

Jane

Re: Olallie Butte 30-Aug-2011

Post by Jane » August 30th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Beautiful photos! Yikes :? on the eastern fires..here's one article I could find ..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/ ... 51133.html

another article: http://gorgenews.com/news/?p=8828

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 30th, 2011, 10:00 pm

fantastic!!

this one has been on my radar for a long time. one of these days....

Aridd

Post by Aridd » August 31st, 2011, 8:19 am

Have had this one my short list for a while as it is pretty close to Salem, thanks for the TR

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 31st, 2011, 3:50 pm

Amazing views up there! Looks like it was worth drifting over that imaginary line on the map... :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando