Lamberson Spur Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Lamberson Spur Loop

Post by bobcat » August 28th, 2011, 7:07 pm

I did this hike last Friday and then saw that VanMarmot had done a great write-up on it last year: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=5812 I will attempt to measure up.

Like perhaps a few of the more grizzled contributors to this site, I blooded (and bloodied) myself on hiking the area with the guides written by Don and Roberta Lowe. I’d check them out of the library or borrow from friends. The only one I bought was their iconic, rather quirky selection 50 Hiking Trails: Portland & Northwest Oregon (1986). I went through all the trails in the book and Lamberson Spur was actually one of the first that I did even though it was touted as the “most difficult.” I lived to tell the tale, but only did it once, in the summer of ’87 or 88. Now, as I am about to cross the threshold into senior citizenry, it was time to do it again.

The Polallie Trailhead is closed because of road construction, so I began from the Tamanawas Falls Trailhead. The East Fork was running murky after a morning rain, but Cold Springs Creek, which became a companion for a goodly part of the day, was cool and clear. There are numerous small falls and chutes as you head up towards Tamanawas Falls:
Cold Spring Creek.jpg

I passed the two junctions for the Tamanawas Falls Tie Trail (the second is unmarked) and went up the creek to get a viewing of the falls:
Tamanawas Falls.jpg
In the boulder field, summer blooms were evident. This is western snakeroot:
Snakeroot.jpg
Also, many kinds of berries are now ripening. These are blackcaps:
Blackcap.jpg
The Tie Trail rises to meet the Elk Meadows Trail, where you go left. The trail heads along in dry forest with a lot of diseased trees to reach the junction with the Lamberson Spur Trail. This trail is designated a three-mile dead end, but only the first two miles have been maintained in any way for many years. There is some blowdown all along this trail, but it is fairly easily negotiated. The path rises into the Mt. Hood Wilderness and heads up a ridge before passing through meadows of blooming penstemon, lupine, and goldenrod. I began to get views east to Surveyors Ridge and, about two miles from the junction, I reached an open meadow at a rock outcrop:
Helipad.jpg
This area has been logged even though it is in the wilderness, so (I agree with VanMarmot) it was probably used as a helipad during the Gnarl Burn Fire of 2008. Here one needs to go right on the ridgeline. The trail is lost under some blowdown, but vestiges became clear on the rocky crest as I moved along. I noticed an old trail tread winding down steeply off the ridge to the left into the bowl below. I wonder where that goes?? The trail now enters the area of the Gnarl Ridge Fire. I could see the faint tread outlined by its moss borders:
Trace.jpg
There is sporadic flagging to guide the way, but the trail keeps to the ridge crest. At this point the ridge line curves up to the left and the tread is lost. I headed uphill above a small meadow in the middle of a tongue of the burn (To the left and the right was untouched woodland). I was most surprised to pick up a trail tread again as I entered unburned forest of silver fir and mountain hemlock:
Trails end.jpg
Soon all signs of a trail ended. Since this was about three miles from the junction, I assumed this was the official end of the Lamberson Spur Trail. From then on, it was a cross-country trip along or below the ridgeline. I moved over to the left side of the ridge and soon reentered the burn to ascend the crest through lupine, penstemon, and goldenweed meadows abuzz with thousands of bumblebees. From here I cold see the waterfalls on the sources of the North Fork Cold Springs Creek, and I caught a glimpse of the mountaintop:
Ridge view.jpg
There were fake thunderclouds forming all day, which actually made the going mercifully cooler. I was soon out of the burn but met up with the first of the “pinnacles” described in the Lowes’ account. This necessitated scrambling down the steep south slope, which is cloaked with pinemat manzanita. Davidson’s penstemon was growing in clumps among the rocks:
Davidson's.jpg
I went up to the the ridge crest to inspect a lava cave, and then I descended to the mountain hemlock woods below and worked my way up gulleys through hemlock/whitebark pine parklands. At this point, I deviated from the “traditional” route, and instead of following a creek to the left, which would have taken me to the south of the highest point on the Timberline Trail, I kept heading up parallel to the ridge. I had lunch in a lush meadow blooming with red and yellow mountain heather, refilled my water bottle, and headed up snow slopes with views of Lookout Mountain, the Hood River Valley, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Rainier. Tundra plants, such as cushion buckwheat, were in bloom :
Cushion buckwheat.jpg
Soon, I looked up to see the posts demarcating the Timberline Trail. In distance, the hike was only about half over when I reached the highest point on the trail at 7,330’, but it was mostly downhill from here. Sulfur buckwheat was blooming in clusters:
Sulfur buckwheat.jpg
I took in the view up Newton Creek Canyon and entered entered whitebark pine, mountain hemlock, and subalpine fir parklands.
Newton Creek.jpg
I passed up the opportunity to do a quick ascent of Lamberson Butte and continued down on the back side of the Butte past the remains of the stone shelter. The trail descends in mountain hemlock parklands. New cones are popping out:
Mt. hemlock.jpg
The trail drops in hemlock copses and meadows blooming with lupine, phlox, paintbrush, fleeceflower, Jacob’s ladder and wood-rush. There are three left turns at junctions before one reaches Elk Meadows. I circled around the north side of the meadows and took in the mandatory view from the shelter:
Elk Meadows.jpg
From here it’s a straight shot north on the Elk Meadows Trail along Cold Spring Creek for over four miles back to the junction with the Lamberson Spur Trail and thence home. Cold Spring Creek lives up to its name and has at least four springs pumping out good fresh drinking water by the side of the trail. A few times the Bluegrass Ridge Burn of 2006 reached this trail but never crossed it. The path is little traveled: no human prints, but lots of coyote, deer, and elk. The trail crosses Cold Springs Creek on these logs:
Creek crossing.jpg
The gradual descent continues past the junction with the Bluegrass Ridge Trail and then rises to the Lamberson Spur Trail. From here, it was still about 2.8 miles back to the car and I kept up a blistering (literally) pace as I knew being two hours late for dinner might incur a smidgeon of wrath. However, all was forgiven as I arrived back in Portland with legs bloodied from altercations with blown down snags. The wine was poured, wounds were salved, and the war stories embellished with each telling.

Note#1: Bloom count: a round 100 species.

Note #2: 18.3 miles; 5,045' total elevation gain; 9 1/2 hours (and late for dinner)

Splintercat

Re: Lamberson Spur Loop

Post by Splintercat » August 28th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Hey, thanks for posting this, Bobcat! I've been hoping that the distance hikers on this site would discover the trails in that area as an alternative to the big Gorge loops -- they need to foot traffic! I was on the Bluegrass Trail right after the fire, and though portions of the trail were rebuilt, other sections (north of Elk Meadows cutoff) were pretty faint. It wouldn't take too much trail running to keep the tread apparent.

I'd love to see the Lamberson Trail completed someday. Glad you did the loop -- though I'm tired (and bleeding in sympathy) just reading your account!

BTW, there's supposedly an old cabin in there, somewhere along one of the forks of Cold Spring Creek. I'll see if I can find the map that showed it... I'm wondering if your faint spur trail might be related to that?

Tom :)

Peder

Post by Peder » August 28th, 2011, 9:40 pm

I am glad that your wife received you warmly! That is quite a workout at 18 miles. Your trip report reminds me that this is a beautiful and wild loop; and now I look forward to going back.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 30th, 2011, 1:26 pm

As for the distance hikers, I am looking forward to the first running of the QUAD Lamberson Spur x 4 20,000 vertical feet in 24 hours (Note: this is NOT a challenge; I just want to read the trip report).

John

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » September 7th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Splintercat wrote:
BTW, there's supposedly an old cabin in there, somewhere along one of the forks of Cold Spring Creek. I'll see if I can find the map that showed it... I'm wondering if your faint spur trail might be related to that?

Tom :)
I know this is an old thread, but Splintercat did you ever find that map that showed where the cabin is? Or does anyone else know where it might be? I am planning another hike in this direction soon and hoped to maybe find it.

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » September 7th, 2015, 9:17 pm

nevermind, found it! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=606&p=21005