Siouxon, Wildcat, and Huffman Trails - August 5th, 2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Tyc

Siouxon, Wildcat, and Huffman Trails - August 5th, 2011

Post by Tyc » August 6th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Dropped my girlfriend off at work and had 8 hours and 45 mins till I had to pick her up, so I decided to take the day and hike the Siouxon area; ultimately trying to summit Huffman. I had hiked the Huffman peak trail last month and didn't reach the summit because we started to late and it was to dark. So this time I thought I would have enough time. The road to the trail head is still abundant with potholes and half of the road is washed out at one point; its a tight squeeze for a small car. After a mile on Rd 54 the fog was really thick and it was sprinkling as well, but I knew it would clear up later.

Reached the trail head at 11:57am (Had to be back in Battle Ground by 7:40pm) and started out on the trail at 12:15. I ran the trail till reaching the first bridge and stopped to snap a picture. Continued on and soon passed two backpackers that I saw leave the parking area when I first arrived. Before reaching the second bridge a group of 6 bikers were heading down and I let them pass since it was in a steep part of the trail. At the second bridge the sprinkling stopped and the weather started to look better; least down by Siouxon creek. about 5 mins after the second bridge I could see Siouxon falls with its giant emerald pool beneath it. I took the time to scramble down below and take a few pictures.

Back on the trail I soon passed several camp sites and then came up to the fording spot on the Wild Cat trail. Took about 10 or 15 minutes to pick where I wanted to cross and forded without shoes/socks. From here the trail heads straight up over lots of switchbacks for .7 of a mile till you can each Wildcat falls in the distance. The falls are amazing and I wish I could have gotten some better pictures, but I didn't want to take the time and scramble down below (i'll be back to do that another day). Curving around some rocks the trail continues with steep switchbacks. Soon I was on a ridge above wildcat falls with some beautiful views of a bare rock cliff and the falls cascading down. Leaving the great views behind I followed the trail into the forest which was still shrouded in fog; it was kinda creepy at some points.

Reached the top of the Wildcat trail and the junction with Huffman Trail and took a left towards Huffman Summit. I didn't know the exact spot to scramble up Huffman and I remembered a rock slide area that I thought could reach the summit. I headed up the steep rocky scramble and heard a few pikas while I was going. Near the end of the rocks bushes start to get thick and I was stopped. I looked around for a bit and found a game trail that I could have took, but after a few hundred feet it got thick with bushes as well. I decided not to continue on it and started heading down the rocks. Once down I found the perfect area to scramble up, but checked the time and it was 3:55 pm. I knew it would take me least an hour and forty five minutes to drive back since it took me that long to get there and at least 2 hours to get back to the trail head. I decided to head back down and come back another day to finally reach the summit on the scramble path I found.

Heading back down the clouds finally started to break and once I was down to the fording spot the sun was out in full force. No one was on Wildcat trail that I saw or Huffman but once I forded and got back on Siouxon it was packed! All the camp sites I passed earlier in the day were taken and I passed multiple backpackers still looking for an open site. Only really stopped once on my way back after the fording at the second bridge to rinse my face and dunk my head. Was so refreshing. Back at the car I checked the time and it was 6:10; 10 minutes later than I wanted to get back. I did make it back in time to Battle Ground and somehow 30 minutes early! So I probably could have reached the summit. Next time for sure.

Total Distance:15.43 miles
Elevation Gain:4093 elevation gain
Time: 5 Hours 55 minutes

First Bridge

Siouxon Falls

Above Siouxon Falls

Above Siouxon Falls

Above Siouxon Falls

Another waterfall on the trail

Almost to Wildcat Trail

Wildcat Sign

Trail leads to this fording spot

Found this bubbling out of some rocks while looking for another fording spot

Mushroom on the Wildcat Trail

Wildcat Falls

Wildcat Falls

On ridge above wildcat falls

On ridge above wildcat falls

Siouxon Peak

Trail

Overgrown trail

Trail

Huffman Trail

Not sure what this was

Took this picture on the way up on the Wildcat Trail

Same spot on the way down Wildcat Trail

Fording 2nd time

Spot I picked to ford 2nd time

Pool I dunked my head in

Falls below the pool I rinsed my face in

Found lots of great campsites that I will be coming back to use and some awesome swimming areas! Can't wait to be back with a few buddies and spend a day or two camping.

funhog

Re: Siouxon, Wildcat, and Huffman Trails - August 5th, 2011

Post by funhog » August 6th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Wow! We camped here the weekend of July 15th and that first bridge was in serious need of repair with half the railing rotted away and rickety, rotten logs on the tread. Looks like that's fixed as well as new signage installed marking the trails. When we did the ford, the ice cold water was mid-thigh. It's fun to see how things change. Thanks for the post.

Tyc

Post by Tyc » August 6th, 2011, 11:54 pm

@funhog - Glad to see some repairs have been made. I hope they get onto the Wildcat trail to cut all the trees that are down over the trail. Was something like 24 or more that were across it. Hahaha yeah the creek definitely was higher last month. My friends and I hiked the Huffman trail on July 8th, 2011 and forded over there. Was knee high on my 7 foot friend.

donaleen

Post by donaleen » August 11th, 2011, 4:25 pm

And what is that bubbling out of the rocks? I saw it yesterday but just thought it was the sun hitting the water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donaleen/6 ... 257218225/

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 11th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Was knee high on my 7 foot friend.
Wow.

How is his knees for hiking?

Someday I'll get up here, on my to do list for sure but the wading thing through Siouxon Creek has put me off a bit...