Indian Heaven - Lemei Rock and Wapiki Lake 7/24

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Indian Heaven - Lemei Rock and Wapiki Lake 7/24

Post by romann » July 25th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Last year I hiked to the base of Lemei Rock and really liked this small subalpine area with meadows and a small tarn. This time I wanted to see this area before mosquitoes hatched out, and possibly climb to the top of Lemei Rock if the conditions were right. As it turned out the climb of the rock would be pretty treacherous snow climb now, but at least I've beat both the heat and the mosquitoes, and that area is beautiful in snow. The only downside is that I got lost both on the way up and back on the way down - navigation in the snow in the woods was difficult.

I started west on Lemei trail from FR24, and made a good time on the mostly snow-free 2.5 miles in the beginning. Having read the stories about mosquitoes, I packed a mosquito headnet, but ended up hiking without a shirt (it was hot!) and only got a couple of bites. Soon I met a family group; they said there's deep snow ahead on the trail. I didn't see anyone else on the trail the entire day.

There were on and off snow patches for a while, then just before a junction to Wapiki Lake I lost the trail in consistent 2-3 feet of snow. All tracks soon ended, so I just went up a small ridge where the trail was supposed to go.

I slowly followed along the ridge for a good 40 minutes, going around snow drifts and the brush. Thinking it was well above the trail, decided to go down and find a flatter ground, and to my surprise soon came to a big lake! It was quite a surprise since I thought I'm going around the hill east of Lemei Rock and expected to come to the foot of the Rock soon. However, the lake was really nice; it just began to thaw but the water had some of the emerald blue color I remembered from last year. Took a lot of pictures and didn't want to leave this place and go anywhere else. Wished I brought a tent there. Some spots of the shore has melted out; it was neither hot nor cold there, blue skies, great views, and no mosquitoes.

Remember last year's joke about finding something on the shore of mosquito-free lake in July in Indian Heaven (meaning there's no such place in nature)? It's the one :)

Strange ice

After a lunch, I went along the south side of the lake and then SE, trying to find an ascent in the cliffs that circle the lake.

There was another bowl-like tiny lake near Wapiki. Went up the avalanche path above it to the saddle.

Decided to call it a Big Slide Lake at this point, because it was a big slide down to it (in the case of a misstep) in the couloir where I went up. The climb started easy but was steeper and steeper towards the top, so I had to kick steps in the snow.

At the saddle, it was a great view of Mt. Adams

From there, we hiked along the melted-out side of a "snow bowl"

Snow Bowl from above

Another small lake @5,550' near Lemei Rock

Got to Lemei Rock at the bad time lighting-wise (here I was covering the lens to avoid sun flare)

Note a huge cornice near the top of Lemei Rock

Snow bowl under Lemei Rock was impressive, as was amount of snow near the side of the rock. How much could be there - 20 feet? 30 feet deep? It can easily be even more. It was beyond my level to try and climb the steep snow bank at the rock (at least not with the amount of time I had), so I admired it from the distance. It doesn't look steep here because of my camera angle.

Strange snowmelt pattern

Finally, went over to Wapiki Lake upper viewpoint

Surprisingly, some short spots of the trail has melted out near the viewpoint, but typical snow conditions were like this - note my oversized skiing poles (on the right) which are about 4 feet long

On the way down I went in the direction of Mt. Adams while I could see it, but then decided that I went too much SE and "corrected" the course, then followed a large creek for an easy route. This mistake brought me back to the road west of Hidden Lakes, way from my car. The last 4 miles or so were on the road, and it was the only place where mosquitoes became noticeable.

My offtrail mistake was made up by finding one of the largest waterfalls in Indian Heaven @ about 4 feet high

Crusak

Re: Indian Heaven - Lemei Rock and Wapiki Lake 7/24

Post by Crusak » July 25th, 2011, 10:21 pm

It looks so different up there with all the snow. And a bit more adventurous to travel in too! I'm amazed at how much snow is at that elevation right now, it is crazy.

Thanks for the 'Indian Heaven' mosquito/snow update. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 26th, 2011, 8:44 am

Wow! Alot of snow still. I am getting a little tired of having to find my way through snow. Sure, it keeps the crowds out, but I'd rather have clear trails.

Thanks for the TR with the snow update.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 26th, 2011, 11:55 am

Nice report & great pictures! Thanks for the update on the seemingly endless presence of snow :( . Indian Heaven is on my list again this year (as always) - and I even bought a mosquitoe hat in anticipation. Now it looks like I'll have to swap out the netting for microspikes and extra batteries for the GPS :shock: .

drm

Post by drm » July 27th, 2011, 9:53 am

While it seems like pretty minimal progress re the snowmelt since my trip there on July 9/10, snow can sometimes melt very quickly once the rocks start showing through and the tree wells get deeper. I expect that the area just below the lake won't melt out till well into August, but the lake itself should make fast progress as open water is showing itself to the sun.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 27th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Great report and expecially the photos, Romann. In my experience, this is the latest melt-out ever and that's from well over thirty years of hiking/running trails in the area. This winter was not the most snowfall in a season but was big, in any event. Combined with the very cool spring and so far, non-summer makes a brutal combination for high country hikers, for sure. I'm wondering if some snow will be left when it starts to fall again in Indian heaven. Now that would be interesting!

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

romann

Post by romann » July 28th, 2011, 11:37 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was not sure even where to post this - in a regular trip reports section, or off-trail reports.
VanMarmot wrote:Now it looks like I'll have to swap out the netting for microspikes and extra batteries for the GPS
Microspikes would be helpful. I had only skiing poles (they don't "sink" in snow like hiking poles) and they were essential for this trip, but hardly enough in some places. Skeeto netting may be of help lower down - mosquitoes got pretty bad near 4,000' on the road, even though I almost didn't see them on trail at that elevation (may be because of little standing water near this particular trail).
Don Nelsen wrote:I'm wondering if some snow will be left when it starts to fall again in Indian heaven. Now that would be interesting!
It would be interesting, especially in the higher areas like Jeff Park or Goat Rocks. GR looked very snowy from there, and it was their sunny SW slope. If the snow doesn't melt, does it mean the new snow will stick much earlier and has more time to accumulate?