Table Rock 7-19-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OneSpeed

Table Rock 7-19-2011

Post by OneSpeed » July 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Well I am now 0-for-3 on reaching the summit of Table Rock. A couple years ago I ignorantly drove up there in May and was turned back by snow. Then on June 5 of this year Jane and I went up there and hit snow on the trail -- but still had a fine time.

I had set aside today for a hike and was determined to go, having spent the last two weeks with my family in Memphis, sitting around, avoiding the heat, and eating. And I saw a forecast that said sunny and in the 70s, so off I went. Sucker!!!!

I went to the Table Rock trailhead and encountered no snow on the way up. I did, however, encounter constant drizzle, occasional wind, much dripping from trees, and miles of soaking wet vegetation. So when I hit the saddle about three miles up, I was wet, cold, tired (remember: eating and sitting around), and couldn't see anything anyway. So the summit will have to wait until another time.

I was, however, checking out my new camera, a Canon PowerShot G12. I didn't get it out much because of the rain, but here are a few shots anyway.
TableRock10.jpg
Headed up the road - under several feet of snow six weeks ago.
TableRock01.jpg
Your basic foggy trail.
TableRock07.jpg
North side of the summit.
TableRock09.jpg
The boulder field is snow-free!
TableRock04.jpg
More foggy rockiness.
TableRock08.jpg
And finally some very late trilliums.

Aridd

Re: Table Rock 7-19-2011

Post by Aridd » July 20th, 2011, 12:55 pm

I do this hike multiple times each year, I went up there the 10th and had decent conditions. On a clear day the view up there is realllly expansive, and when you do get up there make sure to look to the right of the steel tower on the ridge in front of you to your NW. (you can make out downtown portland)

heres a pano from the 10th

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » July 22nd, 2011, 7:05 am

Thanks! I am trying again next week. But I always wonder: if you can see downtown Portland from up there, can't you see "up there" from downtown Portland? I assume it works that way, but it's probably tough to pick out something relatively small like Table Rock from the city.

Aridd

Post by Aridd » July 22nd, 2011, 9:09 am

Yea, you can see it from Portland but it wouldn't stand out all that much

If you are looking at it from the west or east, It's very prominent and looks like a "table" (I've always thought it looks a lot more like the shape of a house) but if you are looking at it from anywhere else, it just looks like a narrow hill.

Good luck on the weather, hope you can see em all