Augsperger Mtn (7/11)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
alanecharlesworth

Augsperger Mtn (7/11)

Post by alanecharlesworth » July 13th, 2011, 1:12 pm

I started from the Dog Mtn Trailhead at 10:22, and ascended the Augsperger trail portion of the Dog Mtn loop for 2.8 miles around the west side of Dog Mtn to the junction with the trail coming down from Dog Mtn's summit, elevation about 2220’, at 12:20. Then north on the Augsperger trail proper for 0.6 miles: down the ridge to a saddle at about 1760’ and then up to a rarely-used dirt road at 12:57. I followed this road east (uphill) to a four-way junction, and kept going uphill to the east, on a well-used gravel road to a hairpin corner, where the road turns west — 0.6 miles on the road. I found the trail going northeast at this corner, and followed it uphill 1.1 mile through a fine woods to a great ridge-top viewpoint just above the powerline, elevation 2900’, which I got to at 2 PM. The trail then went 1.1 miles up the south ridge of Augsperger through woods and flower meadows to the viewless summit, elevation 3667’. I followed the trail down the north ridge about 130’ vertical (0.1 miles) into fine flower meadow with views to the west, north, and east. I got there at about 3:30.

The tread of the Augsperger trail is in excellent shape, with only a couple of logs to step over. I had to push through a lot of waist-high luxuriant annual growth in places, but the trail is in such good shape that you can keep walking even though you can’t see your feet. In early spring, this growth wouldn’t have come up yet. The reward for doing this in the summer is lots of flowers in the meadows.

I started back at 3:50, and got down to the junction with the Dog Mtn loop at 5:50. Then up to Dog Mtn's summit viewpoint at 6:50. I had never been on Dog in July, was surprised to find the slopes still covered with tattered Balsamroot. Then down the front side to the car at 8:25. 13.9 miles, 5727’ gain, 10.1 hours. Leaving out Dog Mtn, the hike would have been 12.6 miles and 4900’ gain.
Attachments
1.gif
Topo map with GPS track plotted
2.jpg
Looking east, where the trail meets the road at 1860', and the route goes up the road
3.jpg
Looking northeast at the road junction at 2100', the route goes straight ahead
4.jpg
Looking northeast, where the trail leaves the road at a bend at 2200'
5.jpg
The trail in tall woods at 2300'
6.jpg
Panorama looking south and west from just above the powerlines at 2900'
7.jpg
Waist-high greenery over the trail low on Augsperger's south ridge
8.jpg
Carpet of tiny white flowers on Augsperger's south ridge
9.jpg
Mt Hood and flowers from Augsperger's south ridge
10.jpg
The trail in the woods near the top of Augsperger's south ridge
11.jpg
Looking west down the Gorge from Augsperger's north-ridge meadow
12.jpg
Looking north from Augsperger's north-ridge meadow
13.jpg
Evening on Dog Mtn's summit meadows
14.jpg
Evening panorama from the Dog Mtn viewpoint at 1600'
15.zip
GPS track log. You can open this in Google Earth for a 3-D view
(65.41 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

wraithevolution

Re: Augsperger Mtn (7/11)

Post by wraithevolution » July 14th, 2011, 9:26 am

I did this hike a few weeks back, one of my favorites. I'll bet you didn't see many people back there, I never do. Lots of bear poo to keep my wits about me though! I always "clack" my hiking poles together once I get back there, don't want to sneak up on anything.
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 14th, 2011, 11:29 am

wraithevolution wrote:...I always "clack" my hiking poles together once I get back there, don't want to sneak up on anything.
I give a big cough or 'whoop' every now and then, or a VERY loud sigh. Or, I just babble to myself. Really. So if you see a tall bald guy talking to himself, don't be alarmed. :)

@ alanecharlesworth: Great report! Ever since I did Dog Mtn back in January with Roy I've wanted to get back over there and snoop around in the Augsperger area. That TH requires the Washington 'Discovery Pass' doesn't it?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 14th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Crusak wrote:Ever since I did Dog Mtn back in January with Roy I've wanted to get back over there and snoop around in the Augsperger area. That TH requires the Washington 'Discovery Pass' doesn't it?
Nope. It's the normal Dog Mountain trailhead, not a state park. Just need a NW Forest Pass.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Craig Romano

Post by Craig Romano » July 15th, 2011, 6:52 am

Augsperger Mountain was the biggest surprise for me during my research for Day Hiking Columbia River Gorge. I came pretty close to not including it in the book because of the brushiness at the jct with the Auggie-Doggie connector trail. But you only need to crash about 500 feet or so of the head high thimbleberries and then you are in the clear for a really pleasurable hike. The views on the north side of the peak just below the forested summit are really pretty. Hopefully Ryan and the WTA will get a party up there to whack back those thimbleberries-in the meanwhile don't let the initial brush keep you from exploring this excellent destination and quiet alternative to Dog Mountain.