Bells Mountain Trail backpacking trip June 24-25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jberkom

Bells Mountain Trail backpacking trip June 24-25

Post by jberkom » June 27th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Now that summer is finally getting into full swing it was time to break out the overnight gear and hit the trail. My wife and I are actually just getting into backpacking having been avid day-hikers since we were kids. So far we are loving it! Next week we hope to make ~30 mile 3-day trip in the Eagle Creek area, so we wanted to get out on a shorter conditioning trip.

We chose the Bells Mountain Trail which starts at Moulton Falls and connects with the Tarbell Trail to reach Rock Creek Campground. We left the trailhead on Friday afternoon, joined by some of my brothers (I come from a large family), at about 3:00PM and reached Rock Creek Campground at 7:45PM. Distance was 11.3 miles (we made a wrong turn and ended up at Cold Creek Campground), average speed 2.5mph. We spent the night in one of campground lots (no fees for these, also no amenities), and hit the trail at about 7:30AM on Saturday morning. We covered the 9.7 miles back to the car in under four hours, reaching the car at 11:15AM, 2.7mph average. 21 miles covered in ~20 hours.

The first few miles of Bells Mountain Trail are fairly steep and a good workout. Coming back they were a bit hard on the knees but overall I'd say the trail is fairly easy. The entire trail is very well maintained and is sometimes used by mountain bikers. The route was fairly scenic, with great views of Silver Star, wildflowers in the clearcut logging areas, and the occasional glimpse of Mt. St. Helens. Here are a bunch of photos...

er0ck

Re: Bells Mountain Trail backpacking trip June 24-25

Post by er0ck » June 27th, 2011, 9:26 pm

fantastic photos and looks like a fun crew.

huge packs. yikes! ;)

looks like a great backpack. i should check that out as the gorge gets more and more crowded.
bad knees rules everything around me.

idratherbhiking

Post by idratherbhiking » June 28th, 2011, 5:04 pm

WOW, SPECTACULAR pictures !!! A very nice report as well, good job! Who's the photographer, you or one of your many brother's? Whoever it is they really know their photography, I'm so jealous. I am oowwing and ahhing over your beautiful pics. Looks like a fun group, where are all the good looking guys when I go hiking? LOL!!! I can't wait to go hiking in that area again, I've only touched a bit of the Tarbell trail, and it was misty and foggy the whole time. Still fun though, just to go on a hike! What kind of camera do you have? I love photography and hiking, though I'm still learning my camera! This single gal, will be watching for your future trip reports ( already a fan) !

geographics

Post by geographics » June 28th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Last edited by geographics on January 3rd, 2012, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jberkom

Post by jberkom » June 29th, 2011, 7:32 am

Thanks for the kind comments! :) All the photography in the post is mine, I use a Canon 7D and various lenses rented or owned. One of my brothers (Benj) is also a photographer and he shoots with almost the same gear. DSLR cameras are a lot of gear to hike or climb with but the results are usually worth the extra weight over a point-and-shoot, if you're into photography. I carry a GorillaPod mini-tripod or a sub-2-lb standard tripod.

A fun trip in this area would be to start at Moulton Falls and hike out to Rock Creek campground on day 1. On day 2 follow the Tarbell trail to the Grouse Vista traihead and on to Silver Star. I'm not sure where I'd go from there but there seem to be some great 3-4 day loop options.

Hopefully next Thursday we'll be heading out to the Eagle Creek area for a 3-day/2-night trip and if all goes well I'll have some more photos to share next weekend!

Trailmom

Post by Trailmom » June 29th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Nice photos! Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
"Life is a daring adventure, or nothing" - Helen Keller

See what I've been up to at Linda's Lens