Still Tons of Flowers on Dog (6-24-2011)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OneSpeed

Still Tons of Flowers on Dog (6-24-2011)

Post by OneSpeed » June 24th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Just a quickie, as it were, from Dog today. I was amazed, by the way, that they had a parking lot attendant on duty. I guess this happens on weekends -- I wouldn't know, as I avoid Dog on weekends the same way I avoid Eagle Creek and the Stepping Stone Cafe on weekends -- but to have one there on Friday was something. Don't think it was needed, as the lot was barely half full.

Extra groovy bonus: running into Vibramhead from on here up in the meadows! Something about a solo dude hiker making sure to get his dog in the picture inspired me to ask. We ate lunch up top and hiked together the rest of the time -- quite pleasant, and nice to meet you! How was the salmon? (I got some cherries, too, but I don't know if you saw me there).

Anyway, we now present your standard batch of Dog Mountain photos. The balsamroot do look a little bedraggled, but there's a lot of them still blooming. Also, Defiance looked pretty darn snow-free.
IMG_9019.jpg
Traversing along Augsperger.
IMG_9020.jpg
IMG_9021.jpg
Phlox-o-rama!
IMG_9022.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
Lunch view (taken with my iPhone).
IMG_9023.jpg
On the way down -- see the poor hikers coming up?
And finally, this is $10 worth of goodness from Cascade Locks: a slab of smoked salmon and about a pound and a half of eastern Washington cherries. A surprising amount of this made it all the way to Portland.

Do we live in a cool place or what????
IMG_0206.jpg

HJG0989

Re: Still Tons of Flowers on Dog (6-24-2011)

Post by HJG0989 » June 25th, 2011, 6:07 am

Nice shots and yes, we live in a really cool place! Thanks for sharing.

I went up here last Monday (my first time), my legs were really sore for two days. I'm heading out tomorrow - maybe to Indian Point.

-helen

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » June 25th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Yeah, I didn't think I was too tired yesterday or last night, but my legs are sore today! I think it's the down that gets me. I'd rather go up two Dog Mountains than down one.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » June 26th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Paul:
It was great hiking with you. Here's an overflight of our track: http://gpsfly.org/g/803

And the salmon was mighty fine indeed. For those who don't know, Cascade Locks is the place to buy whole salmon fresh from the river, courtesy of local tribal fishermen. They're typically there on weekends through much of the summer, right by Bridge of the Gods. I think it's a nice way to cut out the middleman and support the traditional Indian fishing culture. On Friday, after hiking Dog Mtn., I bought the biggest Chinook I've ever gotten: 26 lbs, plus an 11 lb one. I got an especially good deal: $5/lb. They're more often going for $6 to 7 a pound, but these were the last two fish the sellers had, and they wanted to get home. They fileted them for me, which is something a lot of them will offer to do.

I took them home, smoked a bunch of it, froze a bunch, and have been grilling up the rest. Ain't it great living in the Northwest?
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » June 26th, 2011, 8:18 pm

vibramhead wrote:Paul:
It was great hiking with you. Here's an overflight of our track: http://gpsfly.org/g/803
You, too! And man, watching that overflight drop off the last plateau on the way down makes my legs rubbery all over again!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 26th, 2011, 10:17 pm

OneSpeed wrote:Defiance looked pretty darn snow-free.
It pretty much is. There are some patches above where the trail from Warren Lake meets the Defiance trail, but mainly it's on the switchbacks of the road to the summit. It's melting fast and will probably be all gone in a couple of weeks.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased