Afternoon Photo Junket to Metlako & Punchbowl - June 8

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Afternoon Photo Junket to Metlako & Punchbowl - June 8

Post by Splintercat » June 9th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Slipped out of the office early yesterday for a photo trek to Metlako and Punchbowl falls. The conditions were basically perfect: heavy overcast, no rain, almost no wind, gorgeous foliage, nice stream flows and only about a dozen cars at the trailhead. Wonderful! I passed most of the hikers on the way in, so had both Metlako and Punchbowl to myself -- for a full half-hour at Metlako and an hour at Punchbowl. Only as I was leaving Punchbowl did a couple hikers arrive. Can't beat that!

Here are some of the pics from the trip:

Metlako Falls (and yes, I stepped over to "the spot"... need to take some pruners up there!) ;)

Little (or Lower) Punchbowl Falls:

"The Room" at Punchbowl Falls:

Punchbowl Falls:

I was a bit concerned about the water volume, but my new camera body has a lot more dynamic range, so I've noticed that it holds up really well in white areas, even with fairly long exposures (this is a full second).

Now, I'm not quite Jamey -- no full-body immersion in the creek, but I did pack a pair of flip flops to wade out to those last two views. My feet as they appeared at approximately 42 degrees, immediately after spending 30 minutes standing in Eagle Creek:

It was nice just to sit in "The Room" for awhile, taking it all in. All my worries slip away when I go hiking, but especially in a natural temple like that. Simply magnificent, and no matter how many times I go there, it always takes my breath away!

-Tom :)

Don Nelsen

Re: Afternoon Photo Junket to Metlako & Punchbowl - June 8

Post by Don Nelsen » June 9th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Tom,

Those are beautiful photos! Thank you. Your feet were looking a bit "pruned" - wow, 42 degrees!? I took my kids swimming in there about '86 or '87 and measured it at 58 degrees on one of the hottest days of the year so I believe 42 this time of the year. -Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

geographics

Post by geographics » June 9th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Last edited by geographics on January 2nd, 2012, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 9th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Thanks, Don & Geo!

Don, that measurement was not scientific, as in: I stepped in the water, and screamed "AIIIIIEEEE... MY GOD, THAT CAN'T BE MORE THAN 42 DEGREES!!!" Or something like that... :lol: But I'd definitely say it was in the 40s... very cold! Still lots of snowmelt percolating into Eagle Creek, for sure.

Tom :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 9th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Don & Geo!

Don, that measurement was not scientific, as in: I stepped in the water, and screamed "AIIIIIEEEE... MY GOD, THAT CAN'T BE MORE THAN 42 DEGREES!!!" Or something like that... :lol: But I'd definitely say it was in the 40s... very cold! Still lots of snowmelt percolating into Eagle Creek, for sure.

Tom :)
Yes, i also never get sick of Eagle Creek.
That is funny :). I did something similar but i got used to it, then on the exit only then did I realize how cold it was. I thought my bones were cracking!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » June 10th, 2011, 7:03 am

Great shots! I need to go there again and try my hand at it. Thanks for sharing.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

Thunder Thigh 3

Post by Thunder Thigh 3 » June 10th, 2011, 7:30 am

Splintercat wrote:
It was nice just to sit in "The Room" for awhile, taking it all in. All my worries slip away when I go hiking, but especially in a natural temple like that. Simply magnificent, and no matter how many times I go there, it always takes my breath away!

-Tom :)
And you have beautifully expressed the exact reason why I love to be out on a hike!

Thanks also for sharing the lovely pictures. I think sometimes I get the idea that because those hikes are so overrun they aren't beautiful anymore. I guess I just need to choose the times I go to the popular hikes - they are popular for a reason! Looks like it was a great afternoon, Tom. You've inspired me to not neglect the more popular hiking trails.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 10th, 2011, 8:50 am

Beautiful photos. Thank you for "chilling" in Eagle Creek for those of us who don't.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

awildman

Post by awildman » June 11th, 2011, 7:12 am

Lovely exposures, Splintercat!
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 11th, 2011, 8:09 am

Thanks, Waffle & Allison!
I guess I just need to choose the times I go to the popular hikes - they are popular for a reason!
Ain't that the truth! If I could figure out how to get my employer to switch to a Thursday-Monday work week, I'd have weekends on Tuesday and Wednesday... and all would be well with the universe! Plus, I'd have an excuse to skip weddings and graduations on the regular weekend -- "sorry, gotta work".

-Tom ;)