Trillium Lake Trail 6/4

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Trillium Lake Trail 6/4

Post by pdxgene » June 4th, 2011, 4:29 pm

It was one of those days where almost everything went better than expected. there was no road construction. The campgrounds were still closed. The main day use area was closed (only parking around the dam). And the trail around the lake was 90% clear of snow. So the place was almost deserted until late afternoon. Just a few boaters, fishers and hikers.
Trillium Lake upon arrival around 930ish..
IMGP8451.jpg
The breeze made it a bit harder to find Mt Hood reflections but if you know where to look..
IMGP8465.jpg
And though there are bunches of trilliums blooming, the current dominant flower is skunk cabbage..
IMGP8470.jpg
I alternated walks around the lake with paddles. Taking plenty of rest breaks of course..
IMGP8476.jpg
Another reflection of Mt Hood..
IMGP8477.jpg
One of the last stretches of snow on the trail..
IMGP8481.jpg
And one last lurking reflection..
IMGP8483.jpg
And finishing up with some nice swirly clouds that filtered in mid-afternoonish..
IMGP8487.jpg
The rest of the day... http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/TrilliumLake12
The camp hosts said they should be done getting the place ready and opened for camping next weekend so if you want a quiet sunny weekend day there, tomorrow might be it before the throngs invade..

pdxflowergirl

Re: Trillium Lake Trail 6/4

Post by pdxflowergirl » June 5th, 2011, 6:22 am

Really like your picture of the swirly clouds with Mt. Hood. Looks like we had similar experiences from different vantage points. I also admired the swirly clouds on our return trip, but mine is with the trees.
P1040213.jpg
Kam

pdxgene

Re: Trillium Lake Trail 6/4

Post by pdxgene » June 5th, 2011, 6:43 am

Thanx.. The clouds were inching up from the south all day but only a few of them made it to Mt Hood. By the time I had left they were gone again. The one picture I really wanted to come out, didn't. Lack of zoom lens killed it, but the sun was at an angle where it was reflecting directly off the chairlift going up the Palmer Snowfield ( I guess that's the one up there) and it looked like a string of diamonds dazzling in the sun.