Mt Hebo 1/25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Mt Hebo 1/25

Post by pdxgene » January 25th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Jim and Mark joined me for the trip to the summit meadow of Mt Hebo (3,100ish')
today via the Pioneer-Indian Trail. The trail normally begins at Hebo Lake and its campground but the area is closed while construction is being done and along with the warnings to stay out (pffft..) we could actually hear them working in there. So we began about a half mile further up where a dirt side road connects to the main trail. From the summit meadows the high white clouds kinda messed things a bit but off in the distance you can see the Three Sisters (in the middle)..
IMGP7479.jpg
And off on the left side with the cloudbank below..
IMGP7483.jpg
Panning over a bit to the top of Mt St Helens..
IMGP7489.jpg
The sheer cliff wall of Cape Lookout..
IMGP7493.jpg
By the way, I do realize a zoom lens would've come in handy here.. Looking a bit more up the coast Three Arch Rocks in the center and a bit of Tillamook bay to the far right..
IMGP7494.jpg
The clouds that were kind of a pain in the other shots were better for this one..
IMGP7495.jpg
If you like a nice climb without the cliffs or exposure or scree fields, this is your mountain. With a huge summit meadow that I've never timed just right but will fill with wildflowers and nice fall colors. And a deep green, mossy forest to climb thru that fills with huckleberries come late summer.

pdxgene

Re: Mt Hebo 1/25

Post by pdxgene » January 25th, 2011, 8:47 pm

I'll add a few forest shots here. Right after I finished explaining there shouldn't be any water to deal with we came across a mini version of the Sandy at Lolo Pass..
IMGP7510.jpg
That's the trail. It was like that for maybe a quarter mile. there was a spring of water bubbling up from the ground to the side of and right on the trail. I'd never seen that there before.
The little meadow you pass through going up was more like a pond..
IMGP7513.jpg
And the moss in the forest is just amazing to look at..
IMGP7522.jpg
Bunches more at http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/MtHebo1
Great day! Thanx for coming guys...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 26th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Lovely! Thanks, Gene. That last shot would be a nice calendar pic if you've got a larger version. Very nice!

Tom

Jane

Post by Jane » January 26th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Hey Gene that's great you guys went out there (should have brought your waders, huh ;) ! It's a neat coastal hike for sure, here's a few pics from when werewere out there a few years ago:
Mt.Hebo hike Pioneer TH 8-24-07.jpg
Mt.Hebo hike trail 8-24-07.jpg
Mt.Hebo hike crossing meadow 8-24-07.jpg
Mt.Hebo hike view from meadow 8-24-07.jpg
Mt.Hebo hike meadow 8-24-07.jpg
Mt.Hebo hike berries and trees 8-24-07.jpg
I'll never forget the varieties of huckleberries there were up there, yum!
Mt.Hebo huckleberries 8-24-07.jpg