Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trail Talk » Trip Reports

Post subject: Crown-Zellerbach Trail
 Post Posted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:12 am 

I haven't found much information about this one but it's an interesting stroll where you get to see a lot of history. It (almost) links up with the Banks-Vernonia Trail which makes for a 40+ mile round trip walk.

I plan on making several more trips out that way to explore some to the spurs that I didn't have time to document yet. And to look for artifacts once the snow melts.

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/Crown-Zellerback.htm

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/banks.htm

Post subject: Re: Crown-Zellerbach Trail
 Post Posted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:49 am 

Easyrider wrote:
I haven't found much information about this one but it's an interesting stroll where you get to see a lot of history. It (almost) links up with the Banks-Vernonia Trail which makes for a 40+ mile round trip walk.

I plan on making several more trips out that way to explore some to the spurs that I didn't have time to document yet. And to look for artifacts once the snow melts.

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/Crown-Zellerback.htm

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/banks.htm

That is pretty cool thanks for sharing.

Post Posted: January 5th, 2011, 6:35 am 

Great report. The missing bridge sounded like an old train trestle that may have burned. I looks like this was the old Portland & Southwestern route. Here is a link to some interesting research done there.

http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandSo ... ernRR.html

Bill

Post Posted: January 5th, 2011, 12:55 pm 

Thanks so much! That'd be a nice early season mountain bike trip for me.
Charley

Post Posted: January 10th, 2011, 6:30 pm 

I've completely documented the Crown-Zellerbach trail now, including a trail guide, piles of pictures and a GPSr track file. I still have a little more exploring to do but the 23 mile end-to-end trail is now completed. Previous to going out there I had talked to a few people who knew about this trail and/or who claimed to have traveled it in it's entirety. But even finding the Chapman Landing trailhead seemed like it was being kept a deep, dark secret. As with all of my trail guides, I provide everything you'd ever want to know about how to get there, how to stay on the trail, hazards and so on.

The disappointing part of this adventure was that the trail ends in Pittsburg, some 5-6 miles from the Banks-Vernonia trail. And given how little funding/interest there is in developing this trail, a potential link-up probably isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Still.... it's a nice little trail in it's own right and one that can be done pretty much any time of year.

Post Posted: January 10th, 2011, 8:39 pm 

Easyrider wrote:
I've completely documented the Crown-Zellerbach trail now, including a trail guide, piles of pictures and a GPSr track file. I still have a little more exploring to do but the 23 mile end-to-end trail is now completed. Previous to going out there I had talked to a few people who knew about this trail and/or who claimed to have traveled it in it's entirety. But even finding the Chapman Landing trailhead seemed like it was being kept a deep, dark secret. As with all of my trail guides, I provide everything you'd ever want to know about how to get there, how to stay on the trail, hazards and so on.

The disappointing part of this adventure was that the trail ends in Pittsburg, some 5-6 miles from the Banks-Vernonia trail. And given how little funding/interest there is in developing this trail, a potential link-up probably isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Still.... it's a nice little trail in it's own right and one that can be done pretty much any time of year.

Cool thanks for all the work you have done

Post Posted: January 11th, 2011, 12:23 pm 

Easyrider: Much thanks for your excellent trip report. It inspired me to check out the trail last week, and we had a nice walk from B&B Market to the Alder Creek crossing.

Post Posted: January 11th, 2011, 1:15 pm 

wow great project. your work is very well documented, thanks for sharing.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. -Bruce Lee

Post Posted: January 11th, 2011, 2:11 pm 

My favorite stretch is from the summit to Camp 8. It's about ten miles RT, very scenic and more artifacts to look over. Also very few people but lots of wildlife.

Post Posted: January 11th, 2011, 6:16 pm 

Many thanks for the great info & pics & update!

Any chance you could share the GPS track in GPX format? I think TPX can only be read by those with Delorme software :(

Cheers.

Board index » Trail Talk » Trip Reports