Molalla River trails 11/29

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cfm

Molalla River trails 11/29

Post by cfm » December 4th, 2010, 11:38 am

I went on a nice ramble last week in an area that will make a great winter destination hike, with many options.

The Mollala River recreation area is BLM land that was purchase from a logging company in 1992. It includes 12 miles of forest along the Mollala River, and if you have been to the Table Rock Wilderness, you have passed through it. Directions are given at the bottom of this post, it took me a bit less than an hour to get there from inner SE Portland.

The trails are maintained by a non-profit group- Mollala Riverwatch, which is composed of hikers, bikers and equestrians. It is very popular with the latter two groups, and they do a good job and keeping the trails free of obstacles. There are multiple trailheads, and the junctions are all very well signed.

The area has some unsavory history as a popular place for rednecks to dump their trash, offroaders to tear up the understory, and serial murderers to dump their victims. The Riverwatchers have changed that dramatically, and now you will find the area clean, neat and wholesome for your outdoor recreational pleasure!

I started at the Hardy Creek Trailhead, and hiked on the Fern Creek, Huckleberry, Deer Skull and Rim Trails, plus Bobcat road. I visited Annie's cabin, and in four hours of hiking saw not another human, although there were a few horse trailers at the TH when I returned.

Annie's cabin on the Huckleberry Trail:

Some of the trails are old logging roads:

Because of the recent logging history, some parts of the forest seem like boring monoculture.

Not a lot of big trees here, but there are some stands that are mature and lovely. The terrain is similar to Forest Park, but much less crowded. A good place to go during the winter months.

Mossy alder on the Fern Creek Trail:

Rim Trail:

I have never seen such a large population of these big ant mounds in a forest before, they were everywhere! I wonder why there were so many here?

I took home some hedgehogs too:

Directions:
From the east side of Molalla (45 minutes south of Portland), go south at the 211 split toward Dickie Prairie/Freyer Park. Cross the bridge at Freyer Park and turn right (south) toward Dickie Prairie., turn right onto Dickie Prairie road at the old store. After the Dickie Prairie Store it's about 4 miles south to the Glen Avon Bridge on your right. Cross the bridge to the Molalla River Recreation Corridor and stay on the road that runs next to the river. The Hardy Creek trailhead is located about three miles south of the bridge, but there are several others along the road.

Robert Ballard

Re: Molalla River trails 11/29

Post by Robert Ballard » December 4th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Thatcher ants?

Guy

Post by Guy » December 4th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Thatcher ants?
These would be very politically conservative ants with an iron will to succeed.. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist!!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Charley

Post by Charley » December 4th, 2010, 11:49 pm

Guy wrote:
Thatcher ants?
These would be very politically conservative ants with an iron will to succeed.. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist!!
Oh So FUNNY!!! :D
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 5th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Actually, they were named for the resemblance of their anthills to PM Thatcher's hairdo... though the anthills are clearly dwarfed, in comparison... :D

Nice report, Charley -- great to hear that another piece of forest has been reclaimed from the bad guys!

-Tom :)

cfm

Post by cfm » December 5th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Although there is nothing wrong with the moniker, my name ain't Charley!
cfm.jpg
-Jenny

(you can also call me Penelope)

Roy

Post by Roy » December 5th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Always enjoy your reports some have led me to new places love your enthusiasm. You kind of remind of my wife someone I can not keep up with. She naturally has endurance and speed. I have to work to stay in shape. But I am kind of lazy I mostly get by on plain stubbornness.

Shes always has been my favorite partner and we have done a lot of trips over the years.

Are you a trail runner to?

-Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » December 6th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Welcome to my neck of the woods Penelope!
I use the Hardy Creek trail system for training. The trails are pretty boring if you think about it ....as far as Pacific Northwest standards go. No views. No big waterfalls. So I wouldn't drive a million miles to hike them. You'd be better off going right by them and head to Table Rock or Rooster Rock area. About the most exciting thing I have seen on them was big buck deer tracks, elk tracks and then cougar tracks inside my footprint tracks when I was coming out on Saturday. It was exciting to know that I was being stalked/tracked by a big cat.
I used to fish for trout and steelhead right across the road from where the current trailhead parking is now. 23 years ago I remember smelling a terrible smell during the head of summer. I often commented to my wife about something big being dead near by. I was right about 50 yards away near where the trailhead is now. Dayton Leroy Rogers buried his victims. It really shook me up back then when I heard about the news. I was so close to the scene it was scary. I still think about it when I am up there in that area and wonder what would be if I had only looked for the source of the odor when I first noticed it.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2010, 4:26 pm

You people with multiple names are confusing me :)