10/10/10 Cooper Spur-Gnarl Ridge-Hood R.Meadows(Car Shuttle)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
airdrum

10/10/10 Cooper Spur-Gnarl Ridge-Hood R.Meadows(Car Shuttle)

Post by airdrum » October 13th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Sunday was a soggy day on the mountain but our fearless leader Jeff was determined to keep his record of never canceling a hike, and he's been doing crazy loops like this for quite a few years. After dropping off a car at Hood River Meadows we drove to Cooper Spur ski area. Already getting dripped on we donned full rain-gear and prepared for a eVent vs. Gore-Tex vs. everything else showdown.

We were already soaked when we entered the burn area and by the time we took a break at the Tilly Jane Cabin we were all doused in either sweat or rain. The only exceptions were Jeff & Kirby, who were trying out the hike with umbrella and base-layer tactic. It worked quite well for them.
Group1.jpg
Fire2.jpg
Fire1.jpg
The second we reached the tree-line the classic Cooper Spur winds began to mix with the constant rain for extra wetness. Unable to communicate in the blowing wind, our group gradually separated apart, all of us keeping our own pace but keeping each other in sight, which luckily was not hard to do as the clouds for the most part were staying above us. On the way up we were hit with some serious winds, one gust in particular knocked nearly all of us over. I was trying to stuff some loose stuff in a party members pack and the huge gust, which we estimated at 50mph, blew me over and I fell on the poor girl. I felt bad but my trekking pole felt worse, the top of the middle shaft was hopelessly bent from the encounter!

Keeping a quicker pace to keep us warm, we reached the Japanese "Hiroshima" rock 3 hours after leaving the parking lot and we decided to call it quits there. The clouds were rolling in and out at this elevation, blocking our view of other party members. The summit was staying permanently shrouded, bummer, but the glaciers looked as good as ever. The temperature was barely above freezing here, with a blend of sleet and rain pinging our faces. I got out a cheap pair of amber safety glasses to protect my eyes and they were great. I never would have thought a couple bucks at the hardware store would have been so useful at 8000'!
copper-other-dir.jpg
Top.jpg
As we descended and hit the Timberline trail, the clouds were beginning to break up. It was then we found ourselves between cloud layers, looking straight at Adams - a perfect full rainbow stretched above. The photo can't do it justice but I have to say this was one of the most incredible sights I have ever seen while out on the trails - great reward for the slog! Rainier also made an appearance behind the fading rainbow.
Rainbow.jpg
adams2.jpg
Rainier.jpg
As we descended the Gnarl Ridge trail the clouds finally broke and we saw the summit of hood. Dark and evil, it was a land of extreme contrasts and swirling clouds. It was a great few minutes.
hood1.jpg
Summit-Close.jpg
We reached the Newton overlook to find the mountain gone again and the rain starting up one more time. By this time, Gore-tex had won the waterproof battle, with one eVent jacket soaked through, another eVent on the brink of failure, and other materials soaked as well.
Overlook-Clouded.jpg
We sped down Gnarl Ridge to the Elk Meadows trail. We found the Newton Creek bridge just barely, barely hanging on while water washed over it. It was drama free at that point and the car ride home was nice and warm!

It was a great day to be out. Saw some things you never see in nice weather and it was great to test gear and layering. Best of all, we saw no other person or groups the entire day, just us!
Andy

Crusak

Re: 10/10/10 Cooper Spur-Gnarl Ridge-Hood R.Meadows(Car Shuttle)

Post by Crusak » October 13th, 2010, 6:23 pm

looks like you had quite the exciting trip.

I'm disappointed at the failure of the eVent product, I bought an eVent jacket last year and I've been extremely pleased with it so far. I tend to perspire at a rate greater than what Gortex can handle, but eVent seems to move moisture faster and more efficiently for me. But I admit, the jacket has only seen about 6 hikes and only two of those were in heavy rain conditons.

Thanks for the comparison! I'll see what my jacket does in future hikes and maybe share my experience.
;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 13th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Gotta love that rainbow shot, Andy! You know, as much as I try to be up there on perfect days, there's something to be said for really experiencing a storm on the mountain -- dramatic and brooding. Your photos really capture the mood!

Tom :)

Roy

Post by Roy » October 15th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Pictures never do justice to these type of trips and the memories are more vivid. I used to have a Heli Hanson parka and pants made from Heli-Tek. I think they were Norwegian and designed for fisherman best nasty weather stuff I ever had.

This is so corny to admit but when I am putting one foot in front of another in place like Cooper Spur on those stormy days. I recite stupid quotes to myself from mountaineering books I read as a kid. Stupid like [ I travel in the foot steps of the worlds great mountaineers] or [Who are these undefinable men who travel in such places? They are the men who wish to strangle solitude]

I have had more than one partner threaten my life while I am laughing and yelling out these quotes.

When my partners have ran a quarter mile ahead of me I listen to Gimme me Shelter by the Stones.

No wonder I travel alone so much!

I can see you enjoy these trips as much as I do.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Guy

Post by Guy » October 16th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Great Post Andy,

Sometimes it's easy to bag a hike when you wake up & it's raining outside - this reminds us it's still worth going!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 17th, 2010, 9:46 am

How many from your group are becoming umbrella hiking converts now, after your experiment? I've read Ray Jardine's ideas and looked at the umbrellas at GoLite's website and wondered - is that the way to stay dry?

I didn't see any mention of how the 'umbrella' hikers fared in the high winds you encountered - did their umbrellas get shredded?

Oh, and I like your idea about amber safety glasses - when sunglasses are too dark, those would work well to ward off flying debris. Maybe get sunglasses with interchangeable lenses...
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » October 18th, 2010, 8:40 am

Nice report, Andy. Love the rainbow shot. A trip like this is just too much for me right now so thank you for sharing. and thanks for the debate on the e-vent/goretex/other methods. I would like to know how the umbrellas fared in the high winds. did they bring supplemental protection? I can't see how an umbrella could possible protect from sideways rain.

airdrum

Post by airdrum » October 18th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Roy, yes the fisherman stuff is THE bombproof option. I have a jacket that I just picked up a couple years ago by a brand called Viking and it's also for fishermen and sea sailing etc. That thing has kept me bone dry on the wettest bike commutes over the past few years. I'll be riding at 30mph down hill in the heaviest rain pdx has to offer and it never flinches. It's SO heavy though I can't use it for hiking!

The umbrellas were put away long before we encountered the winds. I think we all knew they had no chance once the wind picked up. I'm not sure how many people are converts to the umbrella thing now, but I do have to say it seems to be a great option if you are going to keep a sweaty fast pace on an already wet day, it prevents you from getting socked by your own sweat, which seems just a bit stickier than if you get it from the rain.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the report. I fully agree that it is in these stormy days that you see the most unexpected things. IUf you set out for the day expecting a miserable wet slog with no scenery, well then the only thing that can happen is you will see some cool things, and that's above your expectations for the day so it is great!

Here's a vid I took at a rest stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OOUcYfrw8

Andy

Roy

Post by Roy » October 20th, 2010, 8:45 pm

I normally were long sleeve poly long under wear under my North face parka it is a pretty heavy one at my speed it works good!
And has an awesome hood.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » October 28th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Geez, Andy, you stalker: stop following me! Ha, ha! Jealous of your rainbow, that rocks.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/