Wapiki Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Wapiki Lake

Post by drm » September 22nd, 2010, 2:01 pm

I camped at Wapiki Lake on the east side of Indian Heaven yesterday. It was mostly cloudy, with some sun breaks, but it never rained. It obviously had rained quite a lot in recent days - but no more dusty trails for a while!

The easiest access is from the east, which is the back side for those coming from Portland. That is probably one reason that it doesn't get as many people as some other lakes. But it's under 4 miles in and a 1600 foot gain, so while harder than, say, Thomas Lake, it's not that hard.

The voluminous huckleberry bushes were completely devoid of berries for the entire hike in. Then next to the lake, I found a few nice patches. But not much overall.

Lemei Rocks, the highest point in Indian Heaven I believe, is just beyond the lake. The lake is on a spur trail, so you need to backtrack and drop a few hundred feet to connect the two by trail. Or you can either try to find a rough trail/route that goes straight up the forested ridge or just bushwhack up - the growth is really not that thick. The trail does follow right on the crest of the ridge at it's highest point, and there is an open dirt slope on the ridge that you can see from the lake. The trail crosses the right-hand part of that in case you want to give it a try.
wapiki 2010 004.jpg
Wapiki Lake
wapiki 2010 003.jpg
My camp at Wapiki Lake
wapiki 2010 006.jpg
Lemei rocks

cascadehiker

Re: Wapiki Lake

Post by cascadehiker » September 22nd, 2010, 3:42 pm

sweet campsite ;)
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 22nd, 2010, 6:01 pm

Great water color in the lake shots!

drm

Post by drm » September 22nd, 2010, 7:28 pm

pdxgene wrote:Great water color in the lake shots!
I've been wondering what makes for turquoise water when there is no glacier runoff involved.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » September 22nd, 2010, 11:49 pm

What a great looking campsite. I'm itching to do ONE more backpack before the rain sets in. This might be just the ticket!