Mt Adams High Camp 8/20-22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ras_pdx

Mt Adams High Camp 8/20-22

Post by ras_pdx » September 10th, 2010, 12:22 pm

A couple of months back I posted a query regarding places I might go for a 3 day backpack with my buddy Noel, who was visiting from DC. The criteria I posted included big alpine views, swimmable lakes and no mosquitoes. I got a number of suggestions (thanks to all who replied!), and decided to act on Allison's suggestion for exploring the west side of Mt Adams. Yes, I know, there are no swimmable lakes on the west side of Mt Adams, but after we heard the forecast for the weekend - mid 60s on Friday, going down to high of mid-40s on Sunday - we decided to scratch that criterion.

Thursday night we left Portland, and ended up camping at what I think is called Killen Creek campground, just a quarter mile or so past the Killen Creek trailhead. Along the way, we stopped for a photo-op of Mt Adams reflected in Takhlakh Lake.
boat small.JPG
View of Mt Adams reflected in Takhlakh Lake
On Friday morning we hiked the mis-named Killen Creek trail 3 miles or so to the junction with the PCT. The trail was dry and dusty, with most wildflowers in seed and not many huckleberries ripe. It is steep in spurts, but I think most backpackers would have no trouble making it that far. For most of the trail, we didn't see any bugs, but as we approached what I think is called Adams Creek Meadows, at about 2.5 miles, we started seeing mosquitoes. As a result we decided not to camp at PCT elevation (~6000'), but rather to go up higher.

So we took the marked trail to High Camp, 6500'. This trail was MUCH steeper than the Killen Creek trail, and required crossing some talus/rock slopes. While it was not super difficult, beginning backpackers and those with kids might want to reconsider bringing full packs up. (We did see families with day packs.)

I had read in a guidebook that High Camp is super-crowded on August weekends, so we were expecting a lot of company. But for whatever reason, when we arrived in High Camp we seemed to have it to ourselves. (Later that day we saw a tent about a quarter mile away which belonged to the ranger, and we also saw two other parties up there on Friday night, both of whom left Saturday due to incoming weather.) We got a primo camping spot, with great views of Mt Adams and the Adams Glacier above us, and of Mt Rainier and the Goat Rocks to the north.
Ground Squirrels on Cairn small.JPG
Ground squirrels on cairn at entry to High Camp meadows
After putting down our packs, we continued heading west/up towards the mountain. We climbed mostly snowfields to a lake that sits in the moraines below the Adams Glacier, at about 7500'. The sun was shining, but the ice floating in the lake discouraged a swim. (We heard from the ranger that a group of students from Lewis and Clark had no such misgivings. Brrr!) Later in the afternoon we climbed further up the snowfields, to about 8000', but we then just retraced our steps back to camp.
Rich at Glacial Lake.JPG
That's me at the lake, looking up at the Adams Glacier
As we arrived at camp, Noel tapped me on the shoulder and pointed. "What's that?" he asked. "Goats!!" I replied. The wildlife gods were smiling on us that night, as a herd of 25-30 goats came down off the moraines to graze in the meadows just south of our camp. We walked over in their general direction, coming within about 100 feet, and spent well over an hour watching them eat and frolic in the meadow. As time went on, many of the goats came even closer, perhaps within 50 feet.
Goats and Mt Adams small.JPG
I believe the goats spend their days and nights in the high country on the upper moraines, coming down to feed in the early evening
Goats in meadow small.JPG
Goat with two bodies small.JPG
A goat with two bodies??
Goat molting and eating small.JPG
These goats were probably no more than 50 feet away
It was pure magic, one of the top wildlife experiences of my whole life. When I asked the ranger about it the next day, he said there were often goat sitings on this part of Adams, but they have a very large range, and you could never know where they would choose to graze. Sure enough, on Saturday night we saw them descending the moraines, but to meadows in a different drainage.

The temperature dropped on Friday night, and I saw a really cool phenomenon when I went to get water on Saturday morning. Since Friday had been warm and sunny, the stream which runs through the High Camp area had pretty good water flow. But with temperatures dropping below freezing, the surface of the stream froze overnight, creating a layer of ice. Also that night, the water flow dropped as well. As a result, I found large, thin sheets of ice suspended 3 inches above the stream. Very cool!
ice small.JPG
Hard to tell from the photo, but the ice sheet here is 18" wide and 6' long
Later that morning, we headed cross-country from High Camp to the spot where Adams Creek crosses the PCT. Along the way, we wanted to check out a spot where a snow field was breaking apart into large chunks. In the meadows, we found lots of tufts of goat hair. I was surprised that the goats are molting now, as I would expect them to be needing their winter coats pretty soon.
Noel in Ice Field small.JPG
After crossing Adams Creek on logs and rocks, we hiked the PCT south for a few miles through forest, meadow and lava. There were flowers in the meadows, but there were also mosquitoes whenever we stopped. So eventually we decided to head back up into the high country, climbing moraines and snow fields above the headwaters of the Lewis River towards the base of the Adams Glacier. The area up there is beautiful; I wish we'd gone there straight-away, rather than hiking the PCT. Ultimately, we didn't get too close to the glacier, as we heard avalanche/rock fall rumblings all weekend (though we never did see either) and wanted to be safe.

Saturday evening back at camp we watched the weather roll in. Bands of thick white clouds blew in from the southwest as the sun was setting. First it passed north of us, filling the valleys between Adams and the Goat Rocks, but shortly after sunset, we too were engulfed in clouds. Sunday morning we were socked in, with only occasional breaks to see the mountain. The clouds had a lot of moisture, though at that point it was more mist than rain. We eventually climbed out of our sleeping bags, ate breakfast, and broke camp. On the way down, we decided to go off-trail to the north, heading towards the spot where Killen Creek crosses the PCT. After a while we found a faint trail that led us through some meadows, and eventually the trail became more pronounced as it took us past a nice waterfall just above the PCT. But that time it was raining pretty steadily, so we headed along the PCT to the junction with the Killen Creek trail, and descended to our car. The car thermometer said the air temperature at 4600' was 46 degrees; it was nice to change into dry clothes and reminisce about our trip on the ride home.
Mt Adams in Evening Light small.JPG
Mt Adams from our camp at High Camp on Friday night

ErinL

Re: Mt Adams High Camp 8/20-22

Post by ErinL » September 10th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Excellent report! Your description and photos of the goats was a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing with us.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » September 10th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Wow, fantastic report! I'm always enamored with goat pics :-)

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » September 10th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Gorgeous photos and a wonderful read. Thank you ! You are so lucky the goats came so close, I bet it was incredible.
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

romann

Post by romann » September 10th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Entertaining report. I was surprised to see no goats during my two visits of Goat Rocks this summer. Now I know where they went :)

fettster

Post by fettster » September 11th, 2010, 8:08 am

Love those goats! Certainly in my own top 3 list of favorite mammals in the PNW.

How is the road driving in to that trailhead? I take it Takhlakh Lake is pretty busy if it has wooden paddle boats in it.

Charley

Post by Charley » September 11th, 2010, 10:24 am

That's quite amazing to see all of those different things- the goats up close would have been cool by itself, but to add to that the ice sheets over running water (never heard of that before!) and the chance to walk up into snowfield calving like a glacier. . . wow. Lucky trip!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

ras_pdx

Post by ras_pdx » September 13th, 2010, 7:34 am

fettster wrote:Love those goats! Certainly in my own top 3 list of favorite mammals in the PNW.

How is the road driving in to that trailhead? I take it Takhlakh Lake is pretty busy if it has wooden paddle boats in it.
The road (mostly FS Road 23 from Trout Lake) is in good shape. It is paved much of the way, and gravel the rest. Takhlakh Lake has a good sized campground which draws RVs and fishermen. Interesting: when you get to the campground, the road splits. The PAVED fork leads into the campground; the gravel section is the true road.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » September 13th, 2010, 11:54 pm

Awesome pictures of the goats! Because of the late, cool summer, they probably didn't get the biological signal to start shedding until recently, and you're right, they're going to be needing that wool again pretty soon. Hopefully we'll have a mild fall so they'll have time to get their coats back on!
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

airdrum

Post by airdrum » September 14th, 2010, 12:44 am

I especially liked the snowfield that was breaking up. It must have felt a bit eerie and it looks that way from the pics. One day I will be retired and have nothing to do except read reports like this and immediately jump in my car to go check awesome places like that out. I'm jealous, great report, keep them coming!
Andy