Soda Peaks Lake and Falls Creek Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Soda Peaks Lake and Falls Creek Falls

Post by drm » August 29th, 2010, 10:16 am

The chilly and wet forecast of a few days ago convinced me to change my plans from Mt Adams to the Trapper Creek area. Probably unnecessarily as it turned out.

It was breezy and cool at camp in the evening.
temp 002.jpg
One of the camps at Soda Peaks Lake
In the morning it was dead calm, and probably about 40. Sunny as well.
temp 003.jpg
Soda Peaks Lake
I had my first huckleberry meal of the season.
temp 004.jpg
Huckleberries at Soda Peaks Lake
I got out to the lower trailhead by late morning, so decided on a visit to nearby Falls Creek Falls. With the lower water, it is easier to go down below the normal viewpoint and get a different perspective.
temp 005.jpg
Falls Creek Falls
On the way out, a spread out group of maybe 50 Japanese tourists were on the way up, carrying all manner of plastic bags and heavy jackets. Many of them asked how far it was to the waterfall and if the steep uphill was almost over. It seems to me that there is an inverse relationship between difficulty of the trail and how many such questions I get. The easier the trail, the more questions I get about just how far it is to the end, presumably because of who is attracted to hike it.

bellaj1018

Re: Soda Peaks Lake and Falls Creek Falls

Post by bellaj1018 » August 29th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Don't feel bad about changing your plans. I was supposed to lead a group up to Foggy Flats yesterday and today but changed my plans to Indian Heaven. Saturday was beautiful out but last night was freezing and we woke up to cold and cloudy this AM. Would have probably been beautiful at Adams yesterday but really cold.