Olallie Butte - 07/31/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Olallie Butte - 07/31/10

Post by Guy » August 1st, 2010, 7:41 pm

Car camping with a group of friends at Olallie Lake this weekend gave us the opportunity to hike up Ollalie Butte.

Hiking the Olallie Butte trail is a bit of a grey area, the first third of the 4 mile trail is on National Forest Land but the remaining 2 thirds are on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. I remember hiking up in the 80's when the trailhead was signed! The current story seems to be that the Warm Springs Indian Reservation wants to discourage hiking the Butte and so they have removed all the trailhead signs but there is no sign saying you should not hike the trail.

The trailhead is on FR 4220 just a few miles before you reach the Olallie lake cabins, as you drive under the power lines, there is a minor junction with FR 019. After a couple of minutes the Butte trail crosses the PCT then continues for 4 miles to the summit of the third highest peak in NW Oregon.

The trail is very well graded and despite is semi unofficial status is in very good condition, some blow down but nothing to write home about. For the first 3 miles or so you switch back up the West Side of the Butte under semi shade tree cover.

The last quarter of the hike is pretty much in the open with great views that only get better as you climb higher.

Image Image

While the switchback trail does go all the way to the summit you need to pay attention a couple of hundred feet below or, (like us) you will find yourself on an alternate scramble trail to the top!

Views from the summit are stunning in all directions. But it's Mt. Jefferson to the South that dominates! In the photo below I believe that you can also see one of my favorite places - Breitenbush Lake.

A fire Lookout was built on the North side of the summit in the 1920's & abandoned in 1967.

Countless other named & unnamed lakes can also be seen from the summit.

Image Image

After the obligatory summit photo on the base of the old fire lookout we headed for home. We past 3 other groups on the trail that day so despite it's semi unofficial status plenty of people are climbing Olallie Butte!

40 winks on the stone recliner!

A few more pics from a great day can be found here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kelkev

Re: Olallie Butte - 07/31/10

Post by kelkev » August 2nd, 2010, 10:31 am

Great pics! I've been meaning to do this one for several years, maybe this will be the year.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 2nd, 2010, 4:02 pm

Guy, excellent report and pics and thanks for bringing Ollalie to everyone's attention. It has significance for other reasons too, since the highest point in Wasco County is a point in the north facing canyon on the butte.

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2010, 8:43 pm

Thanks guys, yeah Don, I read that on Wikipedia when I got back & thought of you & Bob! Wish I had read it before then I would have made a point of trying to get a photo of it but I think it must be further down this ridge that comes up to the NE corner.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors