Elk Lake to Twin Lakes (07/19/2010-07/20/2010)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
oregoncurtis

Elk Lake to Twin Lakes (07/19/2010-07/20/2010)

Post by oregoncurtis » July 24th, 2010, 6:22 pm

With another two day break from work and the sun shining the girlfriend and I headed for bull of the woods. I live in Salem so we went to Detroit and then headed to Elk lake from there. Boy the road is bad like they say (it took around a hour to go maybe 4 or 5 miles), but I was still able to do it in my Scion xA. Just pass where trail #544 (the trail we took) comes to the road the road gets pretty bad and a high clearance vehicle would probably be needed.

We saw a couple guys leaving as we started off around 4:30pm and the permit box had quite a few permits in it, but we didn't see another soul until we reached Twin Lakes. Well ig uess if you think mosquitoes have souls we saw a lot, but in my opinion they are soulless :lol: They were pretty bad when we passed by wet areas and at the lakes, but we kept applying this natural lemon mint scented stuff which would work for 30 min. to an hour.

The hike climbs fairly steadily at the beginning and is very overgrown. I wish I'd had some clippers to do some trimming, but I've never encountered such an overgrown trail. After the climb and several wonderful views the hike levels out and heads north. This portion of the hike was beautiful and easy. There are some nice rocky area's, little micro pond basins, and views of several peaks. At one point the trail passed a cliff which was about 100 yards of the trail so we walked out to have a break and take in the view. It was one of the best views I've seen in a while. In front of you is the battle creek watershed and to the south is Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Thielsan, and even the sisters. I decided against taking photos as the light was fading and I didn't want to make camp in the dark. I figured I'd save it for the hike back, but we somehow ended up walking past it without noticing.

A mile+ after the cliff the trail starts to head downhill along a ridge towards the lake. At this point the rhododendrons were sensational carpeting the midlevel forest. The colors were striking with the green foliage of various trees and plants, the brown/grey of the tree trunks, the pink of the rhodys, and the grey of the rocky ground. I've never liked rhodys in peoples gardens much, but in their native landscape they are breathtaking.

Finally we came to the western twin lake where there are several well established campsites. We choose one with a nice flat wooden bench and a previously cleared area for the tent. Earlier on the hike we'd found a hat and then at the campsite we found a book and multitool that someone had left behind. We were surprised that someone could've left these things behind, but then when searching for firewood we found someone had left a two person sevylor blow up raft too! We assumed it had a hole a continued to cook dinner. After dinner I took some star trail photos for around a hour and then we headed to bed.

The next morning we had breakfast and hung around camp. After breaking everything down we left our packs at camp and walked around so I could take some photos. I went over to the area where the raft was, but the light was too bright. The sun was really starting to heat things up and that water looked so nice. I looked at the raft and poked it checking to see if it held air. It seemed fine so I blew it up the rest of the way and stripped down to shorts to take her out. It was pretty cool to paddle around the lake for 30 minutes, but the wind kicked up a bit so we brought her back in, then promptly jumped in the water. It was a little cold, but not bad for a 4000' lake at this point in the season.

After the dip we finally strapped on our packs and headed out. Again we only saw the two other guys at the lake on our hike out. We hiked fairly quickly back stopping to take pictures at a few nice views (not the awesome one though darnit) and arrived at the car around 4:30pm. A 24 hour adventure in the Oregon wilderness. :D
Attachments
20100719-_DSC0836.jpg
There were tons of pinkish whitish rhodys beside the trail.
20100720-_DSC1004.jpg
Elk lake and Mt. Jefferson after the initial climb of the trail.
20100719-_DSC0809.jpg
Hiking at dusk among the flowers and trees.
Twin-lake-star.jpg
Star trails, but are they over or in the lake?
20100720-_DSC0926_HDR.jpg
At the campsite looking at the lake.
20100720-_DSC0957.jpg
Nice and sunny on the hike back.

baker9903

Re: Elk Lake to Twin Lakes (07/19/2010-07/20/2010)

Post by baker9903 » July 24th, 2010, 6:41 pm

sounds like a dreamy trip! I love that area. we did the whole loop a couple of years ago and camped at the same spot you did. there was no one else there, no mosquitos, great weather. went swimming in the lake, it was beautiful. on a different trip, i took my ford focus up that road to elk lake! took forever and a quarter tank of gas to get up, but we made it! that poor car was so abused.

thanks for sharing your trip. i especially liked the starry photo - really neat.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 24th, 2010, 7:00 pm

I want to know more about the natural lemon mint mosquito repellent. Do tell! :)

At this point I'm willing to try anything. Mosquitooes absolutely love me

oregoncurtis

Post by oregoncurtis » July 25th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Thanks baker!

Jeff here's a link to the repellent on rei.com http://www.rei.com/product/703338

-Curtis