The "Other" Eagle Creek (#501) June 12-13, 2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
baker9903

The "Other" Eagle Creek (#501) June 12-13, 2010

Post by baker9903 » June 19th, 2010, 11:03 pm

With the weather we've had for the past several months, last weekend's sunshine almost feels like a dream. If it wasn't for the photos, I might doubt myself as to whether it really happened.

This trail is located in the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness, accessible via the Clackamas River corridor. It has quickly become one of my favorite places in Oregon. It's less than 40 minutes from my front door, offers gigantic trees, gorgeous water, deep green, ferny growth and relative solitude.

We arrived at the trailhead about 11am-ish and there were two cars parked there. We never saw the owners. In fact, on the first 80deg sunny weekend of the year, we didn't see a single soul the entire time we were out.

The trip was meant to be a shake down hike. We haven't been on an overnighter since last year. We didn't go far, maybe 4 miles in. Before we went, several non-hiker friends said I shouldn't/couldn't go out because I'm 19 weeks pregnant. Even my husband was a little concerned given my serious exhaustion levels in the beginning and even now I get tired easily and quickly. However, it was one of the most amazing trips I've ever taken.

We set up camp early afternoon and just relaxed. Chris practiced his casting into the water, Koza pointed at imaginary fish, Thor slept, and I dozed in the hammock I sneaked into Chris' pack. We talked and dreamed of what life will be like when our baby arrives in November and the future. We decided she/he will be bilingual, play the piano and go to Wittenberg, our alma mater. Big dreams.

Dozing on the dog mat since I took control of the hammock he carried. Hey, I'm pregnant!

comfy camp:

Rare quiet moment:

Giant tree:

so mossy and ferny:

The sun was everywhere, even in this deep forest:

Trail conditions were fine the first couple miles. Serious water though. Some parts of the trail were a river. Lots of mud. After a couple of miles, it became very very brushy. This wet weather has helped the greenery explode. Tons of salmonberry everywhere.

This was fun climbing over:

Seriously mom. please stop torturing me with photos

You can't really tell in this photo, but this tree is about 4 feet in diameter and growing on top of a fallen tree that is about 6 feet in diameter that isn't even sitting on the ground - it's perched a couple of feet above the ground between two other trees sitting on the ground. It was kind of neat to see such a big tree growing out of another tree in the air like that. On top of everything was a six inch layer of moss. such a beautiful spot.

This was truly a fabulous weekend. I came back feeling great. I was able to carry my weight, and could have hiked much longer. The star of the show, the sun, giving us such a long performance that day made it all that much better. I hope everyone else had a great weekend too.
Last edited by baker9903 on June 21st, 2010, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ErinL

Re: The "Other" Eagle Creek (#501) June 12-13, 2010

Post by ErinL » June 21st, 2010, 8:05 am

Great trip report. Looks like you call had a great campsite set up!

I loved the bit about your hopes for your progeny. (Congratulations, by the way!). I took study abroad credits through Wittenburg. Small world.

Erin

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 21st, 2010, 8:42 am

Thanks everybody. The weekend was just what we needed.

Erin, that's pretty cool you have a Witt connection. There aren't too many of us on this side of the Mississippi.

The weekend reaffirmed my belief that I'll be able to keep hiking and backpacking as long as I can. I'll have to make adjustments and I probably shouldn't plan a 100 mile trip across the Himalayas.

If anyone has any suggestions for keeping comfortable, please feel free to let me in on any secrets. I was constantly fiddling with my pack belt, trying to keep it comfortably below my belly. Other than that, I felt great. I even slept through the night -something I've done only 4-5 times in the past four months.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 21st, 2010, 3:49 pm

Great report, Barbra! One of my favorite trails, as you know -- especially since visiting Chak Chak Falls a couple years ago. Very rugged, wild forest in there... and wet, of course! :lol:
If anyone has any suggestions for keeping comfortable, please feel free to let me in on any secrets.
Little known secret: have your husband carry the stuff! I'm thinking you could load him up with everything but a few clothes that would easily fit in a belt-less daypack that you carry...! :D I'm sure Chris will appreciate me suggesting this... BTW, great photo of him fishing, and neat campsite, too. One of the best along the trail, actually. There are a few others hidden behind a veil of ferns.

This trail would be LOT busier if 80% of the potential hikers didn't get lost trying to find the trailhead. I did my best with the field guide description... but....

:)

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 22nd, 2010, 7:57 am

Splintercat wrote: Little known secret: have your husband carry the stuff! I'm thinking you could load him up with everything but a few clothes that would easily fit in a belt-less daypack that you carry...! :D I'm sure Chris will appreciate me suggesting this...
He was already carrying most everything - I only had my sleeping bag and mat, warm jacket, sleeping clothes, half-liter of water and a few snacks. The problem is really the pack. The belt-less daypack is a great suggestion - I will definitely look into that. The 7-8lbs of stuff I was carrying can certainly be supported without a hipbelt.
Splintercat wrote:
This trail would be LOT busier if 80% of the potential hikers didn't get lost trying to find the trailhead. I did my best with the field guide description... but....

Unfortunately, that is the truth. I attempted a trip earlier in the winter and was thwarted because I didn't go far enough up the road - for some reason it didn't feel right at the time. I didn't have directions with the mileage - just my vague memory from the last time I was there a year and half before.
Even Sullivan's directions are off by two tenths of a mile and describes a turn that isn't there.

As for the field guide, I couldn't find the entry.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 22nd, 2010, 11:14 am

Ha! That is so weird, Barbra! I looked in the Field Guide, because I was sure I had written it... but you know, I think I wrote it up for the Chak Chak Falls trip, then posted the same on a couple of confused threads about the trailhead, but never actually put it in the field guide! I'll have to track down those threads -- I even marked up a map, just for extra insurance. I've thought about posting a sign there, but (a) I think it's private timber land, and (b) I'd be sentencing the tree to an early death, because the shooters would decimate it within days... along with the tree.

Tom

Barb Adams

Post by Barb Adams » June 23rd, 2010, 8:43 pm

Thanks so much for the post and pix. We hope to be on the "Other" Eagle Creek as soon as it dries out a bit.
Congratulations....
barb

Backwoods_Joe

Post by Backwoods_Joe » July 16th, 2010, 9:18 am

That looks fantastic. Hammocks are my favorite.
What am I doing out here?
Backwoods Joe.com