Mt Adams - Horseshoe Meadows via Stagman Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Mt Adams - Horseshoe Meadows via Stagman Ridge

Post by drm » June 6th, 2010, 1:11 pm

With a GPS track, I decided to snowshoe up the Stagman Ridge trail to Horseshoe Meadows and camp. The weather is supposed to be great going up, but a storm is moving in.

Despite being just over 4000 feet, the trailhead is clear of snow.

More snow convinced me to put my snowshoes on soon enough

Too soon! It clears at the wilderness boundary

Hints of what is to come

Starting the climb up the Grassy Hill area

Snow coverage soon is full and permanent - this is about 5000 feet

A mile further up, a large meadow gives the first full view of Mt Adams

And another mile is the view at Horseshoe Meadows. It took under four hours and I used my GPS track from a hike the previous year extensively

Although there are no clouds there, they are moving in - you can see the shadow on Adams here

Since it was early and those clouds looked a bit ominous, I decided it would be prudent after taking a nice break here, to head back down to the previous meadow for my camp. A much more sheltered place to be when the storm arrives, and a shorter hike out in the rain the next day. Here is my break spot at Horseshoe Meadows

It took a half hour to get back to the lower meadow where I set up camp. Snow was about 4 feet deep

It was still mostly sunny and warm, but a shower moved in at 7pm. I wondered if I was tent-bound for the night, but it ended at 7:30 and I had a wonderful evening watching various clouds move through and see how they affected the light on Mt Adams. Here are pictures from that fantastic evening.

Last edited by drm on June 9th, 2010, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fettster

Re: Mt Adams - Horseshow Meadows via Stagman Ridge

Post by fettster » June 6th, 2010, 1:53 pm

That's a great shot of the mountain with the shadows. I bet there would be great stargazing around there. See any footprints of critters in the snow?

BeaverDawg

Re: Mt Adams - Horseshoe Meadows via Stagman Ridge

Post by BeaverDawg » June 6th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Thank you for the trip report. It's nice to know what the access is like in the higher elevations. We've enjoyed hiking the gorge but are definately ready to get up in the mountains!
How far of a drive was that for you from White Salmon?

PS We also enjoyed your Alaska trip report reccently. Hard to imagine the warm weather you experienced, especially given our cool wet spring here. We are heading up to Alaska including Denali in early September, and although we will be prepared with rain gear and gloves we sure hope we get some decent weather!

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 6th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Excellent Dean, I agree the pic with the shadows on the mountain is pretty amazing.

drm

Post by drm » June 6th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Hi David - stargazing would be good if clouds didn't move in. But this time of year it doesn't get really dark until 10:30, and that's a bit late after a hike like that. There were loads of elk tracks in the snow. I saw two of them on the road driving in.

The Stagman Ridge trailhead is about 35 miles from White Salmon, about 45 minutes. Only the last 4 miles are unpaved, and are mostly in very good condition, except for some potholes at the start.

Roy

Post by Roy » June 7th, 2010, 7:38 pm

I always enjoy your reports and the way you maximize the good weather.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

MaryV

Post by MaryV » July 27th, 2012, 7:11 am

Does anyone have any info on what current conditions are on these trails or any trails nearby? Is there still alot of snow?
Thanks,
Mary