How to upload pictures from your computer

For testing the forum interface. A place where newbies can post test messages. Nothing informative here.
kelkev

Re: Pictures from your computer

Post by kelkev » June 22nd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Smith Rock State Park, Monday late afternoon, June 17th
Attachments
P6170275 (1280x960).jpg
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Roy

Post by Roy » October 21st, 2013, 9:45 pm

Coldwater lake MSH. ( taken by Roman )

The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

wsevert

Post by wsevert » January 11th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 13th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Interesting how this thread evolved.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

wsevert

Post by wsevert » February 24th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Is there a limit to the number of pics you can upload to your report? Trying to post my first trip report has been an all day nightmare. I was doing fine, had my text written, had attached several photos and then it just stopped loading when I tried to download more. No error message, no nothing, tells me it downloaded the pic but there is nothing there in the list. Then, when I'm silly enough to save a draft, it loses all the hard work I've done and I have to just about start over. This has been very frustrating. I know it will seem easy once I get the hang of it but not sure I can hang long enough to ever get it.

Severt

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 24th, 2014, 5:26 pm

wsevert wrote:Is there a limit to the number of pics you can upload to your report?
It's either 10 or 15. (I think 15?) And they're each limited to 1MB, too. You are *far* better off uploading them to any free hosting site (eg, Flickr), and linking to them with [IMG] tags. Attempting to inline embed more than just a handful of uploaded images is certainly an exercise in frustration. Plus, the casual reader is cheated by their relatively smaller size.
wsevert wrote:Trying to post my first trip report has been an all day nightmare. I was doing fine, had my text written, had attached several photos and then it just stopped loading when I tried to download more. No error message, no nothing, tells me it downloaded the pic but there is nothing there in the list. Then, when I'm silly enough to save a draft, it loses all the hard work I've done and I have to just about start over. This has been very frustrating. I know it will seem easy once I get the hang of it but not sure I can hang long enough to ever get it.
Another hint I'll offer is to occasionally copy your text over to Notepad (or whatever), so if the website blows you still have a copy. I know I tried that Save button once, and agree it's not very intuitive at all!

I'm really not sure what you're meaning when you speak of "downloading" here? That doesn't make sense in this context.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

wsevert

Post by wsevert » February 24th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Thanks, Karl!

I probably meant uploading but at this point who knows what I actually meant. I will work on it again when I get back from the PHMG monthly meeting. I will re-focus on trying to figure out what I did wrong when I tried to use Flickr the first time (I'm very new at that also) so as not to "cheat" anyone, including myself. Some of the pictures did turn out really well and I'd love to be able to show them off properly. It sure is easier to go hiking than it is to write about hiking!

Severt

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 24th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Flickr is particularly easy, if you already have the photos there! Just click that share button, "Grab the HTML/BBCode", choose a size (800x is best - that's the max visible here anyway), then copy what they give you and paste into your post. I usually delete the part following "[/img][/url]" and add my own caption in its place. HTH!
Karl

wsevert

Post by wsevert » February 25th, 2014, 8:36 am

kepPNW wrote:Flickr is particularly easy, if you already have the photos there! Just click that share button, "Grab the HTML/BBCode", choose a size (800x is best - that's the max visible here anyway), then copy what they give you and paste into your post. I usually delete the part following "[/img][/url]" and add my own caption in its place. HTH!
Thanks for your input, Karl, it was very helpful!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 25th, 2014, 9:48 am

wsevert wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Flickr is particularly easy, if you already have the photos there! Just click that share button, "Grab the HTML/BBCode", choose a size (800x is best - that's the max visible here anyway), then copy what they give you and paste into your post. I usually delete the part following "[/img][/url]" and add my own caption in its place. HTH!
Thanks for your input, Karl, it was very helpful!
Saw the TR! Looked great! :)
Karl