Gales Creek Trail from Reehers Camp 4.25.10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BaileyBoy

Gales Creek Trail from Reehers Camp 4.25.10

Post by BaileyBoy » April 27th, 2010, 12:23 pm

After resting a sore knee for over a week it was time for Bailey and me to hit the trails. I had a project near Rex Hill Winery so decided to head over to Reehers Camp about 2 miles west of Timber and do the Gales Creek Trail. Turns out there a couple of new trails in the area now and one, Triple C trail, was beautifully constructed with some very nice trail work. The campground is build on the site of the old Reehers Civilian Conservation Corps Camp above the pretty Newhalem River. The campground is not open yet but next to it is a large parking lot of hikers, bikers and horsemen. Arrived to find no cars in the lot and found the same when we left - nice.

One interesting thing about the Newhalem (at least to me) is that it flows easterly off of Giveout Mountain and you'd expect it to empty into the Wilson River but it doesn't. It swings to the north past Timber then up past Vernonia and up to Mist then over to Jewell and southerly into Newhalem Bay. Along its southerly flow the Salmonberry River flows into it even though the Salmonberry's genesis is over 2 miles east of the Newhalem genesis. This interesting piece of trivia is testimony to the steepness of the terrain in this area, very mountainous with deep canyons and not much humanity save the loggers.

The trail heads south for the parking area but swings westerly quickly and passes through a very pretty section of forest and beside the river.
P1080164.JPG
Typical forest view
Shortly the need to cross the river arises and you have a few choices. First there is a pretty slim log you could chose.
P1080166.JPG
Slim log crossing Newhalem River
If that doesn't appeal to you or your dog, then you could wade/swim the pretty narrow river.
P1080167.JPG
Bailey swimming Newhalem
Finally, for us reasonable folks you can take the road bridge and hit the continuation of the trail a short distance west of the bridge.
P1080168.JPG
Road bridge over river
Before crossing the bridge, however, I noticed a new trail running northwest along the river and checked it out. Turns out its a new trail called Triple C which loops back to the campground. Nice walk in the woods with some neat flower shows.
P1080170.JPG
One of many pretty flowers
Back we went to cross the bridge and you take the first road to the left - unmarked - and you'll see the trail heading to the left of this road but it's not marked. So you know the old saying ...
P1080180.JPG
When you come to a fork in the road take it
After climbing out of the river bottom you'll hit the Port of Tillamook Railroad tracks with the appropriate warning sign. I believe trains run through here 2-4 times a week.
P1080184.JPG
All good dogs stop at railroad xings
Continuing on up through the pretty forest with no sounds of logging since it's a weekend I had the feeling of being watched. Stopped and looked around and watched Bailey then finally saw what it was.
P1080191.JPG
Stealth critter
Side view of this stealth critter.
P1080193.JPG
Full view on stealthy
Entered an area of the forest which shows some of the effects of the old fire but which has also had human logging to created wildlife habitat.
P1080185.JPG
Fire damaged and human logged for wildlife habitat
As I mentioned, mountain bikers use the trail and it's a great one for biking - they even have a nice jump ramp constructed.
P1080186.JPG
Nice bike ramp
The forest floor was lush with flowers, ferns, moss and fields of Oxalis.
P1080199.JPG
Red flowering currant I think
P1080205.JPG
Oxalis
We crossed Bell Camp Road and went down into the Gales Creek drainage about 3/4 miles so Bailey could get some water and cool off then back up the steep hill and returned to the TH. A beautiful day in the woods - only occasional gunshots in the distance, no ORV noises, no people, and my knee hardly bothered me at all. Life is grand!!
P1080196.JPG
Indicator of a working forest area

Skip

Jane

Re: Gales Creek Trail from Reehers Camp 4.25.10

Post by Jane » April 27th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the great report and photos, Skip! I hope to explore more of the coast woods, they have their own eerie intrigue and mysteries , huh. That dark squirrel sure is cute (and intense ;) ), I think I've seen them at Ecola, too.

"... testimony to the steepness of the terrain in this area, very mountainous with deep canyons and not much humanity save the loggers..."

My friends that live near there and hunt those wild and rugged areas can attest to that too I've heard.

anna in boots

Re: Gales Creek Trail from Reehers Camp 4.25.10

Post by anna in boots » May 5th, 2010, 9:27 am

"Stealthy the Squirrel" has a nice ring to it. Maybe he could be a new Marvel Comics superhero. He's already got a great costume. Not as great as Bailey's, but who's is?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/