Hoyt Arboretum: 03/05/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AlexanderSupertramp

Hoyt Arboretum: 03/05/10

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » March 6th, 2010, 12:34 am

I went to the Hoyt Arboretum today with no real plans other than to walk around and look at trees. At the visitors center I picked up a hand out for the self guided 4-mile walk which looked fantastic. So off I went. Though the infinite number of trail junctions proved to be somewhat confusing, it was a gorgeous hike that was far more than I expected. Here are pictures.

And finally, my wife's new nickname......

anna in boots

Re: Hoyt Arboretum: 03/05/10

Post by anna in boots » March 6th, 2010, 5:44 am

Love the black and white root pic--looks alive, like some sort of sea creature!

Say Hi to Silky for me. You know, Thea could be Lil' Sassafras. That would make you just Sass. It works.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

chameleon

Post by chameleon » March 6th, 2010, 10:13 am

nice shot of the pileated woodpecker! Love those things.

markesc

Post by markesc » March 6th, 2010, 10:20 am

That's always a nice section of trail!! You sure got a GREAT shot of that woodpecker! I've never seen them up that close and sitting on the forest floor! How close did he let you get?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » March 6th, 2010, 1:57 pm

That's a good point! I too am interestedto hear the story of that shot. Those buggers can be elusive as the dickens when you point a lens in their direction. I've never succeeded in sneaking up that close to one! Was it a young bird...or an adult used to humans?

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » March 6th, 2010, 5:25 pm

markesc wrote:That's always a nice section of trail!! You sure got a GREAT shot of that woodpecker! I've never seen them up that close and sitting on the forest floor! How close did he let you get?
Thanks Chris, it was weird. I actually encountered the same pair (I think) of woodpeckers twice. The first time they were halfway up a tree and I managed to get about 20 feet from them when the first one took off. The other bird stayed behind, going about his business and occasionally checking me out as I continued to scoot closer and closer. His buddy was yelling at him but he didn't seem to mind me, as long as I kept moving slowly. When I got to within 15 feet he took off. About 5 minutes later I came across what I believe to be the same two birds. The sequence of events was the same, only this time I was able to get to within about ten feet before he took off. They were kind of pecking away at the bottom of a tree the second time, and I'm not sure if they were adults or otherwise. Here are a couple more shots.

Zach, it would seem they were used to humans, or at least the one that didn't mind me. His buddy was yelling at him relentlessly. I honestly think he finally took off just to get his partner to shut up :D
Attachments
P3058178.JPG
P3058168.JPG
P3058165.JPG
P3058163.JPG

markesc

Post by markesc » March 7th, 2010, 12:58 am

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:
markesc wrote:That's always a nice section of trail!! You sure got a GREAT shot of that woodpecker! I've never seen them up that close and sitting on the forest floor! How close did he let you get?
Thanks Chris, it was weird. I actually encountered the same pair (I think) of woodpeckers twice. The first time they were halfway up a tree and I managed to get about 20 feet from them when the first one took off. The other bird stayed behind, going about his business and occasionally checking me out as I continued to scoot closer and closer. His buddy was yelling at him but he didn't seem to mind me, as long as I kept moving slowly. When I got to within 15 feet he took off. About 5 minutes later I came across what I believe to be the same two birds. The sequence of events was the same, only this time I was able to get to within about ten feet before he took off. They were kind of pecking away at the bottom of a tree the second time, and I'm not sure if they were adults or otherwise. Here are a couple more shots.

Zach, it would seem they were used to humans, or at least the one that didn't mind me. His buddy was yelling at him relentlessly. I honestly think he finally took off just to get his partner to shut up :D
Wow, love those shots!! I'm thoroughly envious! and what a strange chain of events to get not just one but two chances for upclose pics! Funny the only decent woodpecker pic I ever got was in Forest Park as well so maybe they're just used to humans a lil more ?