Ode to a Butte in White 1-24-10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
anna in boots

Ode to a Butte in White 1-24-10

Post by anna in boots » February 5th, 2010, 11:02 am

I savor high, wide open spaces like a Portlander savors dark roasts and pale ales. There are just as many flavors and nuances in topography, believe me, and you can savor them a thousand times longer when you are out there alone: just you, your pack, and the wind.

Stacker Butte is a natural area preserve vaulted high above the western shores of the Columbia across from The Dalles. http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/d ... id=3785156 I take that fact on faith because in all the times I've been there, I have never actually seen the view. The weather has flaunted its variety of masks--rain, fog, snow--and I have so far only enjoyed intimacy with the road in front of me. Doesn't matter. I go there for something else: sanctuary.
PHStackerButtesnow5.jpg
There is a supreme bliss in silence. I don't mean the absolute silence of a sound proof room or noise canceling headphones, although I certainly wouldn't turn those down if I won them in a raffle, I mean the delicate grace of Nature's white noise.

Rhythmic footfalls muffled by new snow, the massage of a steady wind, the gentle tinkling of birdsong playing in unpredictable spurts like a windchime--it all combines in the human soul to promote instantaneous relief.
PHStackerButtesnow3.jpg
Instead of consciously activating a meditation, I feel as if a meditation is soaking into me. Somehow, my heart relaxes even as it speeds up. I often feel weightless and not quite connected to the ground, and my legs are walking themselves. They feel like separate, hungry animals and the only way to sate them is with more and farther and higher and faster. The exertion of a replenishing hike like this one is illusory; I am filled with far more energy than I give away through my effort.
PHStackerButtesnow7.jpg
With all common necessity of thought removed, my focus broadens as it sharpens. Sensory input becomes clean, clear, and laser accurate. I smell different moisture densities of snow as the barometer jumps around, I see a thousand shades of white and grey in the land around me, water is sweeter than wine, apple slices are indescribable.

I'm so happy and keyed up that a herd of deer feels like the discovery of some new species and an explosion of grouse from the hill beside me nearly stops my heart.
PHStackerButtesnow2.jpg
The only discomfort that ever really affects me deeply on a hike is the realization that it is time to head back. I rarely come to this decision consciously as I carry no watch. Rather, there is an inner pull that warns. It is more than the distance traveled, more than the angle of the light.
PHStackerButtesnow10.jpg
And the way the land and weather were laid out that day, my whimpering only grew worse. Up in the rolling elevation, the diaphanous clouds of snow permitted sunlight to fill them, creating a skylight effect that lit up the hills. Below me at my goal, the parking lot seemed weighted down by mud and darkness.
PHStackerButtesnow6.jpg
Leaving that expansive feeling behind was like leaving one's warm bed on a cold morning. I descended out of necessity alone. The snow thinned under my boots and I could hear the gravel again. Fog banks flowed up the draws in backwards avalanches. Those grouse scared the crap out of me one more time, the nefarious little feather balls.
PHStackerButtesnow8.jpg
Oaks flirted with me in their snow shadow petticoats.
PHStackerButtesnow9.jpg
Sob! I'd rather be up there than down here!
PHStackerButtesnow14.jpg
Like the heaven that it was, the "storm" hovered high and just out of reach.
PHStackerButtesnow13.jpg
Us mere mortals had to make due with rain soaked roads and air so heavy with moisture, you could stir it with a spoon.
PHStackerButtesnow11.jpg
I knew the sunset would dim that vast, white room eventually, anyway, but I was not interested in being rational about it. I only wanted that light around me all the way back to Portland. My favorite 80's hair bands barely consoled me as I drove.

anna in boots

PS: Stay tuned for the same hike a week later...in the sun! And here it is: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4207
Last edited by anna in boots on March 13th, 2010, 10:56 am, edited 10 times in total.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

J_W_Speed

Re: Ode to a Butte in White 1-24-10

Post by J_W_Speed » February 5th, 2010, 11:13 am

What can I say other than pure Heaven.

I can truly relate to those ambushing grouse, waiting for one to stumble just feet from them while enveloped in a false sense of security, just before they spring the surprise.
Awesome TR as usual, Anna!
Always Dreaming of the Trail
http://www.johnathanwhite.com

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 5th, 2010, 11:29 am

J_W_Speed wrote:What can I say other than pure Heaven.

I can truly relate to those ambushing grouse, waiting for one to stumble just feet from them while enveloped in a false sense of security, just before they spring the surprise.
Awesome TR as usual, Anna!
Thanks, JW.

Yes, it's truly amazing how such sweet, soft little birds can gang up and coordinate a sudden noise loud enough to induce bowel evacuation.

anna in boots
Last edited by anna in boots on February 5th, 2010, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » February 5th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Poetic as always Boots. Fantastic stuff!

romann

Post by romann » February 5th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Nice report and pictures, I could feel almost as being there. I also like to hike in this weather, it feels so quiet, mysterious, and away from the world. Today it feels like June in the city, seems like this report is from another season.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 5th, 2010, 3:16 pm

romann wrote:Nice report and pictures, I could feel almost as being there.
That's always my goal, romann. I wanna take you with me right where you're sitting!

Adam, thanks, and by the way, in a week or two, I'll be as famous as you. (wink, wink) Well, I won't be as good lookin' but I'll give it my best shot.

anna in boots

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » February 5th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Wow, the poetic prose matched the photos perfectly, all that was missing was the soundtrack!!!!! I'd expect Phillip Glass or maybe The Kronos Quartet to provide that.
Wonderful shots and another place I now have to visit.
Would Bailey be okay in there or ??

Skip

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » February 5th, 2010, 6:15 pm

anna in boots wrote:
romann wrote:Nice report and pictures, I could feel almost as being there.
That's always my goal, romann. I wanna take you with me right where you're sitting!

Adam, thanks, and by the way, in a week or two, I'll be as famous as you. (wink, wink) Well, I won't be as good lookin' but I'll give it my best shot.

anna in boots
Aha! I can't wait! As far as looks go, you're at least a couple rungs higher up the ladder than my ugly mug. Why do you think I went on. I have a face for radio :D

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 5th, 2010, 7:06 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:I have a face for radio :D
And a voice for Harlequin romance novels. Live it up, Krystin!

anna in boots

markesc

Post by markesc » February 5th, 2010, 11:04 pm

Amazing mix of texture, line, atmosphere, and linear perspective in your shots! I like.