Silver Star Mountain 1/23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Silver Star Mountain 1/23

Post by romann » January 24th, 2010, 1:19 am

I did Silver Star several times last year, but only from the north side. Today I tried it from Grouse Vista trailhead (south side) for the first time. I took my dog Pepper with me, the rest of my family either stayed home (my brother was a hiker too before he bought The World of Warcraft game) or came to the ocean but I decided to have a little more adventure and exercise today.

While hiking from Grouse Vista to the summit is more difficult than other options and the trail (old roadbed) is very rocky, the views are unparalleled. Also, the approach road is much better than one coming to the north side trailhead and drive time is shorter. The road has some glimpse of Silver Star and Washington's Larch Mtn., so while still driving to the trailhead I began to see a lot of snow higher up. I didn't expect any snow at all and left my yaktracks at home, so this was a big surprise. However, it turned to be not too much snow to make hiking difficult, but enough to make it feel like winter.

The hike starts on old roadbed in the forest - very steep and rocky. After half an hour, we began to see more and more snow (I'd say snowline is about 2900-3000 feet there), and by the time we came to Pyramid Rock viewpoint there was about 2 inches of snow on the trail, and the trees were really "raining" on us. We were glad to be out of the forest.

Pyramid Rock was beautiful in the snow

As we got higher, the snow on the trail got deeper. Soon, there was about 5-7 inches of fresh snow on the trail, but only a trace under the trees. Several people have hiked there today before us so the trail was easy to follow. We went in and out of the woods, but now it was too cold for snow to melt/fall from the trees. The weather got more sunny as we went, there was mild and no wind until we got to the top (and just a light wind on the top). The middle section of the trail had lots of open views, and now it was real winter wonderland.

The section before summit gets steeper again and is mostly in the woods. There, we got a little "lost" - we came to an Y intersection and I took trail down going to the left thinking the right trail going to Indian Pits. However, in less than half mile we came to a big signed junction (where trails to Sturgeon Rock and Bluff Mtn start) and I realized our mistake. The trail to the Pits was probably snowed in so I didn't notice it. We re-traced our way back and soon were on the summit. The view toward neighboring snowy peaks was stunning.

View toward Baldy Mtn. and Bluff Mtn.

View toward North spur of Silver Star (where Ed's Trail is going)

...and toward Sturgeon Rock.

Pepper on the summit

I planned to hike back via Sturgeon Rock and Tarbell Trail to make a loop, but when we came to junction with Sturgeon trail earlier by mistake (see above) the trail didn't have any human tracks. I thought it would be foolish to try an unfamiliar snowed-in trail before a night fall so I spent an hour on the summit taking pictures and then we went back the way we came.

True summit from "false summit"

View from "false summit"

We met 3 groups hiking up, but had the summit to ourselves and were alone going back. The weather finally cleared up.

Looking back

Pyramid Rock again

Sunset was really nice

More pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nikulin.rom ... arMountain#

retired jerry

Re: Silver Star Mountain 1/23

Post by retired jerry » January 24th, 2010, 6:12 am

Nice!!!

That area has the greatest views.

Nice pics.

Another bit of a loop is to, just before Pyramid Rock, take that road up to the top of the ridge, and then follow it about a mile to where it joins back with the main trail. Or you can just go along the top of the ridge.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » January 24th, 2010, 7:45 am

Ooooo, lovely light in those pis, romann--well done!

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 24th, 2010, 8:10 am

Very nice photos. I particularly like the one of "Pepper on the Summit" - with the commanding stance and the shaft of sunlight.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » January 24th, 2010, 9:58 am

Breathtaking! Excellent report and pics.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » January 24th, 2010, 11:23 am

Beautiful! Looks like you got lucky and the cloud ceiling was just high enough to get a view.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » January 24th, 2010, 11:26 am

Wow - looks like you had perfect weather! Fantastic photos - I especially like the pics of Bald Mountain. This month has been really busy for me work-wise, and I haven't been able to get outside, so it's great to have trip reports like yours to fuel the fire and stoke the imagination bank. Thanks!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 24th, 2010, 11:50 am

I see next year's calendar shots :-)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

romann

Post by romann » January 24th, 2010, 11:57 am

Thanks everybody,
This trail is now one of my favorites. It took many trip reports from other people to convince me to drive long forest roads to find the trailhead, but in the end it was not difficult at all. I agree we had lucked out with the weather - when we began the climb the summit above us was still covered in clouds, when we finished it was almost dark - just got into small good weather window. Snow really made things beautiful.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 24th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Romann,

Excellent job with the report and especially the photos! I know what you mean by needing some convincing to want to drive those bumpy and long roads to get there. I first went up there in the mid 60's and it wasn't until 2000 that I went back due to not wanting to drive those roads. What convinced me was while on a flight to Spokane, the plane made a turn and banked so that I ended up looking straight down on the summit area. I said to myself: wow! that looks like a really neat place - maybe I should give it another look! - so I did and now have been back dozens of times always finding something new. Glad you had such a fine first time.

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller