The Upper Latourell Falls mystery has been solved!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Re: The Upper Latourell Falls mystery has been solved!

Post by Guy » April 4th, 2010, 9:29 am

Thanks Tom,

I still want to check out the East side trail, I'm thinking the original photo was taken from somewhere on that East side trail as its taken from a higher spot than the current trail and the middle section is not completely obscured.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Garlynn

Post by Garlynn » August 18th, 2014, 11:34 am

I was there yesterday with my son. We've found the westside trail by heading more or less straight up from the obvious trail-to-someplace that goes up adjacent to the west side of the bridge below Upper Falls. We haven't found the historic switchbacks that lead up to it yet, however, or at least not a continuous path from the bottom to the top of that slope via those historic switchbacks; the approach seems to be well-hidden.

For me, however, the remaining mystery involves the east side: I can't seem to find where the approach is to the grade that leads up to the trail to the east side of that old bridge. Where would said trail have split off from the existing path, assuming that they did overlap for some portion? Or, even if the original approach can't be found, where would be a good place to hike up to access the old east-side upper path?

I see that this thread is a couple of years old now; since it was first posted, has anybody here managed to climb up the east approach to where the east side of that old bridge would have been?

raven

Post by raven » August 18th, 2014, 11:26 pm

I've investigated this a bit, and suspect the bridge across the middle of the falls was for the private use of a land owner..

The upper falls is in George W. Joseph State Park, given to the state by his estate. Joseph apparently had a house off Haines Road and used to walk a path, possibly using the upper bridge to where the highway is now, perhaps to the road house there or to catch a train to Portland. I can't find the reference right now that I once found to Joseph's pleasure in walking that property, so that's from memory.

The upper acreage has been logged, I presume before being given to the state. I suspect the bridge was removed isolating the upper property before the logging began. Direct access to the area is limited both from below and above; so removing the bridge would have made the area above the falls it a tax-free private preserve after the property was given to the state. I went in across timbered lands reportedly owned by a paper company. There were few signs of other hikers, in the recent past or otherwise, but many signs of elk.

Some fine large cedars exist in the upper park, but I remember no large Douglas Fir standing. The area is very wet -- I found skunk cabbage growing on a seeping side hill. The bottom land around the upper creek is quite mucky, apparently from erosion after the logging. Any trail that was located in the canyon is well buried if near the stream or eroded if just above. High on the hillside to the east, where the slope is less, there is evidence of a trail bench for a distance; but the bench could have been logging related. I didn't finish exploring whether a trail remnant connects downward to the east side of the mid-falls bridge.

Certainly would be nice to connect the upper part of this park's lands to the existing trail, but there seems to be no obvious way.

Garlynn

Post by Garlynn » August 19th, 2014, 8:59 am

Wow, thanks for sharing your research, Raven! Do you suppose the bench on either side of that bridge across the middle of upper falls is thus totally natural, then, and not something that was blasted out to host the trail?

I've talked to a State Parks ranger about the possibility of creating a new trail, perhaps an extension of the 400, that would connect from Latourelle east to Bridal Veil, and then on to Angels Rest and over to Multnomah, etc. The ranger (I forget his name) mentioned that he thought such a trail would indeed be possible, and he already kind of had an alignment in mind that would work for it. I would if any of that alignment would link to this historic walking path used by George W. Joseph?

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » August 21st, 2014, 10:56 am

Wow....a little late on this! Awesome picture! Thanks for bringing this back up. :) I'm curious if anyone has explored the east side of where the bridge was and where it went to?
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

raven

Post by raven » August 24th, 2014, 12:09 am

Garlynn, I have no idea as to the means through which the path was constructed or whether there was a natural bench that was employed. I suspect Joseph could afford the construction whether blasting were required or not.

I see no easy means of constructing a path that would allow easy travel between the upper and lower parts of George W. Joseph State Park on the east side of the creek. And funding either such a trail or an extension of trail 400 in the current financial environment seems quite unlikely.

Chase

Post by Chase » August 24th, 2014, 6:45 am

I've scrambled around up there (careful not to cause one pebble of erosion ;) ) and thought this bridge to be a viewpoint more than a continuation of the trail. Love to know more about it, though.