Hunt for eagles at Balfour-Klickitat park 1/15/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Hunt for eagles at Balfour-Klickitat park 1/15/10

Post by meana39 » January 16th, 2010, 12:11 pm

After seeing the posts of the eagles at this park, I had about an hour to kill waiting for the hubby to get off work, so decided to check it out.

Nice paved paths....some interesting trees I had to Google later to learn about, I'd never hear of the Osage Orange tree before, and what I thought was just ONE eagle until I went to edit the photos.....my they have good camo when their white bald heads aren't showing off!!

Just a few photos.....rained on me most of the way....but what a cool place! So glad I leaned about it here!
Attachments
klickitatriver.jpg
weirdtree.jpg
klicitattrail.jpg
eagles.jpg
osageorangetrees.jpg
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Re: Hunt for eagles at Balfour-Klickitat park 1/15/10

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 16th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Very pretty spot, good for the winter blahs.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 17th, 2010, 11:00 am

So, where is this Meana? I'm assuming eastern Gorge by the name.

Tom

meana39

Post by meana39 » January 17th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Splintercat wrote:So, where is this Meana? I'm assuming eastern Gorge by the name.

Tom

You drive east on Highway 14 towards Lyle....and just before you get to Lyle, before you cross the Klickitat River bridge there is a turn that says "Appleton" just up the hill around the first corner is the trailhead parking lot. Easy to find.

Apparently while construction is going on it's the temporary trailhead for the Klickitat trail as well.
http://www.klickitat-trail.org/events.htm
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 17th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Tom