Table Mountain 10/28/09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Table Mountain 10/28/09

Post by Guy » October 30th, 2009, 8:15 am

Wednesday Chiyoko, Eric & I had a rare opportunity for a midweek hike. We set off from home with the intent of doing Hamilton Mountain but then decided to do Table Mountain as we crossed Bridge of the Gods. Trouble was we didn't have the info on where to begin the short version of this hike. Eric remembered reading something about Bonneville Hot Springs & the Dick Thomas trail. To cut a long story short we ended up at the Dick Thomas trailhead but didn't know it & headed off down the road to Greenleaf Slough.

We ended up parking on the side of Greenleaf Slough and taking the power line road up to the short connector trail through the woods to the old logging road. We did not pass any no trespassing signs but in reading up on Table Mountain after we got back I realize this was not the recommended way to go.

We weren't done with wrong turns for the day because as we reached Carpenters lake we didn't turn left up the switchback road but kept going straight along the side of the lake and past it. I now know we could have continued this way and still reached the PCT but we turned around and headed back to the road switchback.

Soon after this we hit the PCT then shortly after that the East Way Kiosk (Very grand for being a good ways from anywhere) of the Heartbreak ridge trail up to Table Mountain. To this point the hike was a easy gentle relaxing walk in the woods, but that was about to end!

We knew the next mile was going to be steep we were only at about 1750' and the top of the mountain is 3400. The trail climbs quickly through the trees for about half a mile or so.

Then is fairly level for a tenth of a mile or so to the first great view spot of the Table mountain cliffs in front of you & great views down to the Columbia.

From this point the trail actually goes downhill then North, switchbacks up through a wooded area and drops you out and the base of a talus slope. From here you just pick your way up the Talus slope.

From here the trail continues on for a short distance to the summit. By the time we reached the top we were in the clouds and so did not get any of the expansive views often talked about from Table Mountain (Just means we'll have to go again on a sunny day). We walked around on top exploring all the various trails on both the North & South sides of the summit before stopping for a bite to eat & beginning our return trip.

The West way down was a lot of fun though in places it was dropping so quickly that you couldn't see the trail 20' in front of you and it often looked like it was just going to lead you over the edge! In places it's also quite rocky and a bit slippery when wet.

Image Image

There are some great view spots on the way down.

Once back on the PCT its was an easy hike back to the East Way trail and then back to the car. This is a great hike though next time I want to do it on a clear (but not a hot) day!

Larger version of map

If you are going to do this hike for the first time & are not sure were you should begin I would recommend checking out these 2 field guide links first: Table Mountain & Dick Thomas Trailhead

More photos here
Guy.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

wraithevolution

Re: Table Mountain 10/28/09

Post by wraithevolution » November 4th, 2009, 11:55 am

Great report! I know what you mean about the short route, there's little info on it anywhere. I did the same exact thing my first time up it as well, went right at Carpenter Lake. (marsh?) I made my own map for it but it didn't seem to catch on.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5079/t ... eroute.png
I did it a few weeks ago and your weather seemed similar to mine. We had clouds above us and below us with a clear gap in the middle. Anyways, thanks for the report!
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.

Guy

Post by Guy » November 4th, 2009, 5:55 pm

wraithevolution wrote:Great report! I know what you mean about the short route, there's little info on it anywhere. I did the same exact thing my first time up it as well, went right at Carpenter Lake. (marsh?) I made my own map for it but it didn't seem to catch on.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5079/t ... eroute.png
I did it a few weeks ago and your weather seemed similar to mine. We had clouds above us and below us with a clear gap in the middle. Anyways, thanks for the report!
Yeah, I found your great map after I got back & searched here for Table Mountain! I think it would be a great addition to the Field Guide about Table Mountain.

One question - Your map says don't go straight up the powerline road from Greenleaf Slough. We did this & didn't see any no trespassing signs & it worked out quite well but I wont do it again if it is trespassing!

Cheers
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

wraithevolution

Post by wraithevolution » November 4th, 2009, 7:38 pm

I know what your talking about and in hindsight, you can go up that road for sure. I think thats the trail that leads all the way to the hot springs. I was trying to show the most direct route. I don't want anyone to think they can't go that way! I'm glad you approve of my map, I'd love to see it in the guide! Thanks, maybe I'll see you up there next time!! :D
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.