bells mountain trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nwbobby

bells mountain trail

Post by nwbobby » July 12th, 2008, 8:32 pm

hey all,boy what a hot one today.we did the bells mountain trail from moulton falls co. park to the cold creek camping area.we covered about 14 miles out and back.the hike up to about 1500' was long and steady,then follows the ridge around before dropping down again gradually.once at around 1500' was the first of about 4 clearcuts it allowed some nice views of st helens and some to the south,never did see adams or any others.the clearcuts were very hot and like dustbowls.i'm not a fan of clearcuts ,but we wouldn't have had any views without them.the last couple miles of the trail parralells the creek and we filtered water twice.total water consumed between the two of us was about 5 liters.the trail was a pretty good workout and enjoyable.once back at the moulton park we watched folks jump off the big bridge that had a sign on it saying of course..........no jumping from bridge.this trail ties into the 24 mile tarbell mountain loop trail is why we checked out the trail.if we do the loop we will access it from somewhere else instead.and oh............if you go,dont plan on eating any red rasberries.............we ate them all..........happy hiking..............Bobby
Attachments
resize4.jpg
resize3.jpg
resize2.jpg
resize1.jpg
it's cool to see it by foot.........rather than by car!

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: bells mountain trail

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 16th, 2008, 11:27 pm

Thanks Bobby. This one is new to me, but it looks like it's worth checking out.

Adam

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 17th, 2008, 6:37 am

How did I miss this TR? So glad you posted it. I've been up to that Molton County park a number of times and actually saw a bunch of teenagers jumping into the water off that bridge if you can believe it!! I've wandered up trail a bit wondering what was beyond and never got that far. I realized it connected up to the Tarbell Trail and on up to Silver Star but I had never checked it out myself

nwbobby

Post by nwbobby » July 17th, 2008, 3:39 pm

hey guys,all in all it wasn't to bad.it got pretty boring and brushy near the end.has anybody done the tarbell trail or parts of it?what part would be the best to do if not all of it.heres a pretty good map of that area.
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_ ... 6_full.pdf bobby
it's cool to see it by foot.........rather than by car!

wanderlust

Post by wanderlust » July 18th, 2008, 7:55 am

I recently hiked the Tarbell trail to Hidden Falls from the Tarbell Picnic Area. Its a 10 mile rt hike with about 800 ft. elev. gain. It also crosses a couple of clear-cuts. Quite a few tiger lilies and daisies are blooming now.

Thanks for the TR bobby.
Attachments
Hidden Falls 01.jpg.JPG