Sunrise Camp on Mt Adams

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Sunrise Camp on Mt Adams

Post by drm » September 1st, 2009, 6:35 pm

This is an 8300 climbers basecamp on the southeast side of Mt Adams. Maintained trails go as far as the Hellroaring Canyon Vista above Bird Creek Meadows. A social trail goes for another mile or so on the ridge above the vista, then a smaller trail skirts around a very loose ridge. Then you're on your own. No trail or cairns. Just map and compass across scree and boulder fields.

The glaciers just above and to the south were constantly letting loose rockfall, which was kind of eerie.

And I thought that it was a flat spot on the ridge with a fantastic view east to the sunrise. But there is a big knoll east of the flat camp blocking that view. Who put that there!

The full report is at http://www.deanmyerson.org/sunrise_camp
sunrisecamp 05.jpg
Ridge of Wonders
sunrisecamp 16.jpg
Sunrise Camp at dusk
sunrisecamp 20.jpg
Klickitat Glacier
sunrisecamp 22.jpg
One of the locals
sunrisecamp 25.jpg
The route to Sunrise Camp, identified by the yellow do I added

Yankee

Re: Sunrise Camp on Mt Adams

Post by Yankee » September 2nd, 2009, 8:52 pm

Looks like you had a beautiful couple of days on the mountain, Dean. Great pics and report, as always.

Jeff

DerWanderer

Post by DerWanderer » September 5th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Thanks for the trip report! I'm glad you got to go up there; I remember you saying you were going to do it this year, and I was eagerly anticipating the report. You got some great photos, and looks like you had closer encounters of the goat kind than I did up there!

It's a wonderful, wild place, isn't it? Looks like you had the run of the place (goats notwithstanding).

fettster

Post by fettster » September 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the post. That's one part of the mountain I'd like to see sometime. And thanks for adding that last shot as it gives a good sense where you went. I can definitely see that knoll which obsured your sunrise. Looks like a trip only worth taking under nice conditions.