Perry South Campground - Reviewing ALL 63 Sites & Boat Ramp/Dock!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TrailPerspective

Perry South Campground - Reviewing ALL 63 Sites & Boat Ramp/Dock!

Post by TrailPerspective » March 29th, 2024, 5:34 am

This Video Reviews EACH Campsite at Perry South Campground. It is a 63 Site Campground in Deschutes National Forest situated on the West side of Lake Billy Chinook, part of the Metolius Arm, with relaxing Spring Creek meandering through the entire Campground. It is divided into two sections, the "Upper Loop", Campsites #43 - #63, which I found to be the more beautiful Loop of the Campground, and the "Lower Loop", Campsites #1 - #40, which is also the side with the Boat Ramp/Launch/Dock and a high quality Shoreline Trail giving multiple Shoreline Access Points for Fisherman. Perry South Campground is NOT part of The Cove Palisades State Park, but is part of the greater Lake Billy Chinook complex area.

It is Reservable @ Recreation.gov (with some Sites set aside for First Come, First Served), $22 per Night as of March 2024. As far as the open season - it appears to open early from my understanding....candidly it's a bit of an enigma. If you go the the Forestry Service website it says it is closed until the Peak Summer Season Window, but if you actually physically drive there it is open, the same discrepancy I observed at Monty Campground just a few minutes down the Forest Road. So ultimately I would say it's a caveat emptor "buyer beware" situation, so do so at your own risk!

Just posted it moments ago, here is the link:

https://youtu.be/QueI7KaQW7k

retired jerry

Re: Perry South Campground - Reviewing ALL 63 Sites & Boat Ramp/Dock!

Post by retired jerry » March 29th, 2024, 7:27 am

I've camped at the upper part which has fewer people

In the winter, they close the gate to the upper part, and lock all the bathrooms except the one closest to the lake

There are some faint use trails, and you can really walk in any direction because there isn't a lot of ground growth

drm

Post by drm » March 29th, 2024, 8:09 am

Interesting how the preferences can vary. I am planning a visit to the area this coming week for Tam a Lau and Smith Rocks. Was thinking of the state park campgrounds, but I know they are mostly RV parking lots, so this is enticing.

But midweek in early spring, I do not want shade, I want sun exposure. And privacy is not likely an issue as there will be few people there. But I understand that most people will be visiting on summer weekends.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 29th, 2024, 9:00 am

if you're thinking the cove palisades, the only open loop is the first campground. Yeah, RVs. But, it's a place to stay.

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » March 29th, 2024, 9:06 am

drm wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 8:09 am
Interesting how the preferences can vary. I am planning a visit to the area this coming week for Tam a Lau and Smith Rocks. Was thinking of the state park campgrounds, but I know they are mostly RV parking lots, so this is enticing.

But midweek in early spring, I do not want shade, I want sun exposure. And privacy is not likely an issue as there will be few people there. But I understand that most people will be visiting on summer weekends.
Yes, you are very right, all good points. I think the time of year season and nature of your group also play a big part in your ideal campsite profile. For me, I take my family, so I want good privacy lines, shade, and optimum shoreline access for easy entrance/access to the Lake/River with my kayaks. I've got Pungo's and Oru's, deploy based on the water risk profile. So I most definitely superimpose my own innate biases on my Campsite Reviews. Hopefully by visually showing each one, a person with a different ideal Campsite Profile can still glean good and useful recon info, even if they have to completely discount and mute the guy narrating/bloviating aka me :lol: I really appreciate you watching it, I always hope it can be helpful resource above all else!

Have fun in your trip! Tam-a-lau is definitely the best Hiking Trail at The Cove Palisades State Park. If you do go the South Perry Campground, I would highly recommend a Trailhead called "Oregon Hoodoo Trailhead" on GoogleMaps, about 3 miles on the right before Perry South Campground coming from Madras. There isn't a sign, its just a shoulder with an area for a few cars to park. Its only a couple tenths of a mile hike but you get a moneyshot of Metolius Balancing Rocks framed by the Metolius Arm of Lake Billy Chinook. I'm going to post a video of the full hike this weekend, very worth doing considering very low effort for high reward ratio. I'm calling it the Stonehenge of Central Oregon!

As far as Smith Rock, I have a Video Playlist on River Trail on YouTube doing it at Sunrise, and climbing up to Asterisk Pass. River Trail is the most scenic Trail. I would also recommend doing Wolf Tree, the opposite direction of River Trail. After you cross the bridge you come up to an intersection with 3 Trails - River Trail and Wolf Tree are very safe Shoreline Hikes beside Crooked River in a High Desert Wonderland. Misery Trail gets all the fame, I've done it before, not to be negative but if a person has any fear of heights they shouldn't do it, its pretty dangerous with sheer drop, multiple people have died doing it, so I always tell people if they have kids don't even risk it....I actually think the views on the Shoreline Trails are actually more beautiful and peaceful and relaxing and with virtually no risk. Not to be a debby downer hahahaha. I'm kind of an anti-Misery Ridge person in the area, I live in Madras so these areas are my backyard. :) Of course a person should do whatever the heck they want to do, hopefully you don't mind my unsolicited advice. :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 29th, 2024, 12:54 pm

I've only walked a short distance from the "Oregon Hoodoo Trailhead" or "Metolius Overlook Balancing Rocks Overlook" on Gaia.

Now, I'm going to have to walk further to see it the next time I'm there, thanks

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » March 30th, 2024, 4:47 am

retired jerry wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 12:54 pm
I've only walked a short distance from the "Oregon Hoodoo Trailhead" or "Metolius Overlook Balancing Rocks Overlook" on Gaia.

Now, I'm going to have to walk further to see it the next time I'm there, thanks
I just posted the Hike video moments ago, it is short, like 3 minutes, the hike itself is only a couple tenths of a mile, low effort to high reward ratio. I think they should brand it "The Stonehenge of Central Oregon" hahahaha. :)

https://youtu.be/0V8t0Pq_U7I

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 30th, 2024, 6:24 am

okay, now I don't have to do it :)

That shows good how the trees up above have been burned, but the trees along the Metolius River are still okay

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » March 31st, 2024, 7:17 am

retired jerry wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 6:24 am
okay, now I don't have to do it :)

That shows good how the trees up above have been burned, but the trees along the Metolius River are still okay
hahahahahaha :lol:

drm

Post by drm » April 1st, 2024, 7:07 am

As to the Misery Trail, as a kidless hiker and a former climber who climbed because I liked the thrill of "looking down" - that is a feature, but a problem. Heading for SR momentarily . . .