Guatemala - February 2024

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Guatemala - February 2024

Post by bobcat » March 14th, 2024, 2:40 pm

I spent most of February in Guatemala visiting a good cross-section of the country and keeping ambulatory as much as possible. After a few days on my own, including a short foray into Honduras, I met up with a friend in Guatemala City, where we rented a car and drove north. The big trek of the trip was to be a hike to El Mirador, in the far north, along a jungle track, but that excursion was ignominiously abbreviated.

Volcán Pacaya

The old colonial town of Antigua is most people’s first stop in Guatemala since it’s only an hour away from large and bustling Guatemala City. There are several volcanoes around, including the very active Fuego, but I only had time to take a fairly guided hike up the slopes of Volcán Pacaya. We didn’t go to the top but reached a viewpoint from where we crossed a 2014 lava flow.

On the trail, Volcán Pacaya.jpeg
View to Volcán de Agua, Volcán Pacaya.jpeg
Hiking on the 2014 lava flow, Cono MacKenny, Volcán Pacaya.jpeg
Fire star orchid (Epidendrum radicans), Volcán Pacaya.jpeg

Copán (Honduras)

This Mayan city-state is near the town of Copán Ruinas, and a paved path leads from the town to the main ruins with temples and the obligatory ball court as well as a subsidiary set of ruins. I was surprised to find I actually walked about 13 miles that day. Although the site had been occupied much earlier, the structures seen today at Copán date from about 425 - 820 A.D. Of all the Mayan cities of the Classic period, Copán is distinguished by the large number of well-preserved sculptures, including numerous stelae, and the display of writing on the Great Hieroglyphic Staircase. The secondary site that I walked to was Las Sepulturas, where the upper class, scribes, etc., lived.

Shady path to the Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
Pauahtun (crocodile) head, Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
18 Rabbit (Uaxaclajuun Ub'aah K'awiil - Estela H), Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
Temple of Inscriptions (Temple 11), Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
View to the ball court from Temple 22, Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
Estela M (Ruler 15- K'ak' Yipyaj Chan K'awiil) and Hieroglyphic Stairway, Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
Snuggling macaws (Ara macao), Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
Ploughing the fields near Las Sepulturas, Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
School group at the House of the Scribes, Las Sepulturas, Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg
Passageway near House of the Scribes, Las Sepulturas, Parque Arqueológico Copán.jpeg

Semuc Champey

Bruce and I drove up through the center of the country, and this was our first overnight stop. This rather remote gorge has become a favorite on the backpacker circuit. They are working on the road and will soon pave it, so expect many more buses, tour groups, and hotels in the near future. There is a great hiking loop which takes you up to a viewpoint from where you can look down on the limpid travertine pools for which the spot is famous. This is limestone country, and the Río Cahabón actually disappears for 350 yards under the limestone puente (bridge) upon which the pools are situated.

Limestone boulder in the Río Cahabón, Semuc Champey.jpeg
Red ginger (Alpinia purpurata), Semuc Champey.jpeg
Cliff above the pools, Semuc Champey.jpeg
Closer view of the pools, Semuc Champey.jpeg
Chasm on the Cahabón above the pools, Semuc Champey.jpeg
Our pool, Semuc Champey.jpeg
View to the lower pools, Semuc Champey.jpeg

Tikal

Most people visit Tikal on a tour and are thus somewhat constrained, but we actually stayed in the national park (there are three hotels) and made a 12-mile day of it by visiting all the structures in the large restored area (but lidar reveals that the expanse of Tikal was about four times larger than what you see). Thus, we were in areas that were practically empty of visitors. Tikal was occupied in the pre-Classic period, but the structures that you see date from about 400 - 850 AD. (Mayans built the large temples on top of earlier structures, which they destroyed, using the rubble of older buildings as a core.) There are only about four pyramids you can go up, but we enjoyed bird watching from the platform on Temple IV and the Great Pyramid in the Mundo Perdido (Lost World). Spider monkeys seemed to be everywhere looking down on us, and the howler monkeys, difficult to actually see, were roaring from the canopy.

Central Acropolis, Tikal.jpeg
Temple I from Temple II, Gran Plaza, Tikal.jpeg
Ocellated turkey (Meleagris ocellata), Complex Q, Tikal.jpeg
Temple IV and Talud-Tablero Temple, Mundo Perdido, Tikal.jpeg
Keel-billed toucans (Ramphastos sulfuratus) from the Great Pyramid, Mundo Perdido, Tikal.jpeg
Tree screen, Plaza of the Seven Temples, Tikal.jpeg
Ducks in a row, Plaza of the Seven Temples, Tikal.jpeg
Coati on trail, Temple V, Tikal.jpeg
The Calzada Mendez, Tikal.jpeg
Geoffroy's spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi), Calzada Mendez, Tikal.jpeg
Russet-naped wood rail at pond, Tikal.jpeg

San Miguel

The attractive little town of Flores sits across a causeway in Lake Petén Itzá. By this time, Bruce had come down with a dose of Monte’s Revenge, so I took a lancha (taxi boat) across the lake to a town called San Miguel and hiked from there. First stop was the Mirador Rey Canek, from where I could see a larger portion of the lake and listen to the morning cacophony of black howler monkeys. I found a trail that took me to them. As they crashed around in the foliage above, some of them broke off branches and spitefully tossed them down at me. A sign on another trail directed me to the mysterious Arbol de Amor (Tree of Love), actually a large fig with many prop roots. Nearby was a new raised walkway, apparently constructed through the unrestored pre-Classic Mayan ruins of Tayasal, and not open to the public yet, but which I happily explored.

Lancha to San Miguel, Lake Petén Itzá.jpeg
Mirador Rey Canek, San Miguel, Lake Petén Itzá.jpeg
View to Barrio La Ermita, Mirador Rey Canek, San Miguel, Lake Petén Itzá.jpeg
Howler monkey (Alouatta pigra), Paseo de los Monos, San Miguel, Lake Petén Itzá.jpeg
The Arbol de Amor, Tayasal ruins, San Miguel, Lake Petén Itzá.jpeg
Raised walkway, Tayasal ruins, San Miguel, Lake Petén Itzá.jpeg

El Mirador trek (aborted)

After a rough pickup drive to the northern village of Carmelita, we met our guide, Angélica, and started walking. By this time, Bruce had more or less recovered from his intestinal disruptions. It’s 40 km to the large pre-Classic Mayan site of El Mirador (600 BC - 250 AD) with an overnight camp at the ruins of El Tintal. Angélica, a local Q’eqchi’ Mayan, was excellent at pointing out birds, insects, and flora, including medicinal plants. Her Spanish was deliberate and clear, making it easy for me to understand. The people of Carmelita had been chicle (for chewing gum) gatherers before trekking tourism offered a more stable income, and she pointed out the machete scars on manilkara trees that had been “milked.” As we got closer to El Tintal, we began to see looters’ trenches into low, jungle-covered structures: these sites are remote and excavations only began in the 1980s, but they cover a vast area and include several settlements, all attracting tomb robbers. El Mirador, in its time, was one of the largest cities in the ancient world.

Angélica and chicle tree, El Mirador Trek.jpeg
Mules coming the other way, El Mirador Trek.jpeg
Yellow shrimp plant (Barleria oenotheroides), El Mirador Trek.jpeg
Rose and Kevin under root spine palm, El Mirador Trek.jpeg
Geoffroy's spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi), El Mirador Trek.jpeg
Green walking stick (Diapheromeridae), El Mirador Trek.jpeg

We got to El Tintal, and other hikers were coming in from the other direction, having spent a couple of nights at El Mirador. They picked the ticks off each other and nursed their blisters. In the evening, we ascended one of the temple pyramids at El Tintal and saw, across a sea of tropical forest, the low rises which support the ruins of El Mirador and its satellite Nakbe.

Dry forest toad (Incilius coccifer), El Mirador Trek.jpeg
View to another pyramid, El Tintal, El Mirador Trek.jpeg

That night the Revenge caught up with me (many times), and it was a ghastly, five-day endurance test on a mostly empty stomach. In the morning, I made the decision not to attempt the 23 km. hike to El Mirador. Bruce stayed with me, and the camp cook went off into the forest and came back with some waxy leaves with which she brewed a concoction. Then she leaned against a post and folded her arms. After only a couple of sips, I was retching uncontrollably for several minutes. The cook, who had not warned me, informed casually that that's what was supposed to happen. However, I don’t think the “medicine” had much effect on the bacteria flourishing in my intestinal tract, and I threw up all the antibiotics I had brought with me.

It poured with rain a couple of times, and the three days at El Tintal went by slowly. Other hikers came and went. The same group of 12 ocellated turkeys, a species endemic to the Yucatán, scavenged around camp. Coatimundis raided the trash pile, and there were howler monkeys grunting and roaring in the canopy. Bruce found a leech crawling up his tent. I was not improving, so we sent someone out to bring in mules. The next morning, we began heading back to Carmelita, but the rain had turned the main track into a quagmire, and the mules kept detouring on user trails that were less churned up. These were basically tunnels through the vegetation where my stirrups kept getting caught, the spiny palms kept stabbing, and a vine literally coiled itself around my neck. I found it easier simply to get off and walk!

Ocellated turkeys at El Tintal Camp, El Mirador Trek.jpeg
Willian, Bruce, Juan, El Mirador Trek return.jpeg
Jungle trail, El Mirador Trek.jpeg

Volcán San Pedro

We had headed back to Bruce’s house on Lake Atitlán in San Marcos La Laguna. By that time, I was feeling recovered enough, with sustenance being processed as normal, to contemplate a hike up the Volcán San Pedro (9,908 feet), one of three volcanoes on the lake. I took a lancha across the lake and then a tuktuk (three-wheeled scooter) to the trailhead. The trail was well-signed and straightforward, rising 4,000 feet to the summit area. I was hiking mostly in shade on the west slope of the mountain. It was a Sunday morning, and several small groups of Guatemalan hikers were coming down after staying at a small camp area below the summit. Volcán San Pedro is an extinct volcano, so the summit is forested, but views extend northward over Lake Atitlán, nestled in its vast caldera, and to the nearby volcanoes of Atitlán and Tollimán.

Volcán San Pedro from the embarcadero, San Marcos La Laguna.jpeg
View to San Pablo, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Junction on the trail, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Montane longwing (Heliconius clysonymus) on coffee, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Mexican lobelia (Lobelia laxiflora), Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Flower of the Devil's hand tree (Chiranthodendron pentadactylon), Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
San Pedro, San Pablo, and San Marcos from Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Camping area, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Trail above camping, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Salsilla (Bomarea edulis), Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
3,000 meter level, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Glittering fuchsia (Fuchsia fulgens), Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
North shore of Lake Atitlán, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg
Tollimán, Atitlán, and Santiago Atitlán from the summit, Volcán San Pedro.jpeg

Reserva Rey Tepepul

By this time, Bruce’s wife Cathy had joined us, and we arranged an early morning birding hike with an Audubon-trained guide. This was also across the lake and before sunrise, so we took a private lancha to the town of Santiago Atitlán. From there, a pickup took us up the slopes of Volcán Atitlán, where we set out on a trail that traversed across slopes alternating pristine forest and steep plantations of canna plants, whose leaves are used to wrap tamales. The highlights of this birding hike were sightings of several quetzals, Guatemala’s national bird, and emerald toucanets.

Early morning view, Reserva Rey Tepepul, Volcán Atitlán.jpeg
Volcán San Pedro from the Reserva Rey Tepepul, Volcán Atitlán.jpeg
Quetzal male (Pharomachrus mocinno), Reserva Rey Tepepul, Volcán Atitlán.jpeg
Emerald toucanet (Aulacorhynchus prasinus), Reserva Rey Tepepul, Volcán Atitlán.jpeg
John and guide, Reserva Rey Tepepul, Volcán Atitlán.jpeg

drm

Re: Guatemala - February 2024

Post by drm » March 14th, 2024, 4:45 pm

I did the long muddy hike to El Mirador many years ago, probably over 20 years ago. I didn't get a stomach ailment, but I got scabies and a bot fly, which is kind of too disgusting to even describe. But I did get there. I have fond memories of gorgeous Lake Atitlan.

See any resplendent quetzals?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 17th, 2024, 9:15 am

drm wrote:
March 14th, 2024, 4:45 pm
See any resplendent quetzals?
Third photo from the bottom. I think we saw four males and two females on that hike.
drm wrote:
March 14th, 2024, 4:45 pm
I got scabies and a bot fly, which is kind of too disgusting to even describe.
I've seen what the bots do to howler monkeys (although the maggots feasting on their flesh rarely kill the monkeys). Shudder to think what the human bots can perpetrate on certain parts of a person's corpus.

wnshall

Post by wnshall » March 20th, 2024, 8:15 pm

Wow, what an amazing trip! Even without making it to El Mirador, you saw a lot. Those volcanic mountains are so majestic, and enticing.

I'm struck by how symmetrical and smooth the volcanoes look -- is that because they are, geologically speaking, still young and haven't had much time to erode, or do water-eroded mountains look a lot different from ones carved up by glaciers?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 21st, 2024, 7:43 pm

Thank you, John! Spectacular!

Tom :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 22nd, 2024, 9:32 am

John,

Thanks for the great TR and photos! What a grand adventure. After exploring Chichen Itza over thirty years ago and reading more about the Maya, I've wanted to see Tikal and Copan but have yet to do it. Your TR shows there is a whole lot more to see down there.

DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller