Zig Zag Mtn 1/1/24

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wnshall

Zig Zag Mtn 1/1/24

Post by wnshall » January 1st, 2024, 9:44 pm

I usually turn to cross-country skiing in the winter, but as Charley noted in another post, this snowless winter has meant no skiing so far. But this has opened up a number of interesting winter hiking options. I've made four hiking/snowshoeing trips above tree line on Mt Hood so far this winter. Making lemonade out of lemons, I suppose.

Normally I start the new year by going skiing, but had to look for a hike instead. I wanted one not too far from pdx and not too long so I wouldn't have to get up too early this morning. I decided to try Zig Zag mtn from the South Burnt Lake TH, hoping that the access road wouldn't be too bad. I've hiked the Burnt Lake Trail to the East Zig Zag viewpoint several times, but never tried the whole Zig Zag Mtn Loop (probably because I've usually done this with my kids, and 10 miles was just a bit too long). So I decided to give it a try today.

Every time I think about hiking from the South Burnt Lake TH I wonder whether I want to brave the rocky, pot-holed, mud-puddled road, and especially the tricky rock ledge at the last hair-pin turn. I can say that the road really wasn't that bad this time. I drove an SUV with moderate clearance and managed without any issues -- just go slow. The hairiest parts were probably the three large puddles, since you never know how deep they are or what's lurking in their depths, but they were all easily navigated. Even the rock ledge at the hair-pin turn was easier than I remember -- it looks like someone has dumped some gravel in that area making it much easier to navigate.

I took the loop counter-clockwise, taking the Burnt Lake Trial up to East Zig Zag and then continuing along the Zig Zag mtn ridge to the West Zig Zag Mtn trail back to the TH. The trail is in quite good condition, with just a few downed trees. The Burnt Lake Trial in particular has a lot of water damage and is deeply eroded -- I can see how in the spring or after a heavy rain it's basically a stream, especially on the steep upper portions. But on a dry day it's just fine. (building some water management on this trail would make a great project for TKO.) The forest is really lovely, especially the higher elevations were there is diverse mixture of conifers. At one point I could see Noble, Silver, Grand, Doug firs, as well as Cedar, Western Hemlock, and Lodgepole pine all in one view.

I love the way that magnificent view of Mt Hood pops suddenly into view as you reach the ridge top.
IMG_6574.jpeg
Mt Hood from East Zig Zag
I did a little trail maintenance with my new trail saw.
IMG_6571.jpeg
Trimmed shrubs
The views from the ridgetop are everything the Field Guide says they are. Three snow-draped volcanic mountains dotting the horizon to the north, Mt Hood looming to the east, and Mt Jeff in the south. There was a pretty solid fog layer lay to the north and east to about 4000' -- it looked like a vast sea with little islands poking up. The fog layer was streaming over Lolo pass and the bald mtn ridge.
IMG_6577.jpeg
Looking North from Zig Zag
The West Zig Zag Mtn trail was in great shape -- really nice tread with little erosion, which was a little surprising because I've read a number of reports saying this trail doesn't get much traffic and can be sketchy.

All in all, the trails were in great shape, and provided a great way to start the year. Happy New Year!
IMG_6582.jpeg
Mt Hood

retired jerry

Re: Zig Zag Mtn 1/1/24

Post by retired jerry » January 2nd, 2024, 6:33 am

thanks for doing the trail work. What saw did you use?

I can't believe how little snow there is out there

wnshall

Post by wnshall » January 2nd, 2024, 8:11 pm

retired jerry wrote:
January 2nd, 2024, 6:33 am
thanks for doing the trail work. What saw did you use?
This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-7245-F ... 149&sr=1-1

Got my first one 2 1/2 years ago and it held up great, but I lost it recently, so got a new one. There's a 10" version too.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 3rd, 2024, 6:02 am

I use a model just a bit smaller - the Corona 4040 - 6 inches, 5.3 ounces - $20

Those saws work really good.