Hunchback Mountain Trail, Dec 18, 2023

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Charley

Hunchback Mountain Trail, Dec 18, 2023

Post by Charley » December 19th, 2023, 2:45 pm

I'm a skier during the winter, and El Nino has been kicking our butts recently. I've managed once half-day each of backcountry Nordic skiing (in the middle of a rare cold snowstorm), alpine touring (on ICE above Timberline Lodge) and at Meadows (soft groomers).

Given the limited or dangerously icy conditions, it's been a challenge to get a full day's workout. So I tacked on a hike up Hunchback Mountain Trail yesterday, after riding at Meadows. As William Sullivan says it's "Handy for a bit of exercise..." as it goes straight up about 1,500' in less than two miles.

IMG_3556.jpeg

I made it to a knob at 3,000' before turning around in fading light and the beginnings of an anemic, too-warm winter rain.

IMG_3565.jpeg

I saw no snow, and the trail was in great shape. I've done several other similarly unseasonable hikes (Paradise Park, Lamberson Butte, Tom, Dick and Harry) in the last few months. I'll probably try for the West Zigzag Mountain trail if these conditions hold. I didn't see any snow on its south face yesterday, so I bet it's in fine shape.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Splintercat

Re: Hunchback Mountain Trail, Dec 18, 2023

Post by Splintercat » December 30th, 2023, 5:26 pm

Thanks for posting, Charley! Haven't been on this trail in decades (literally), though I now associate it mainly with the only place in Oregon where a person has been killed by a cougar..! Not sure if you remember that sad event a few years ago. :cry:

Then there's the ghost up on the section by Devils Peak but that's probably another thread... ;)

Tom

Charley

Re: Hunchback Mountain Trail, Dec 18, 2023

Post by Charley » December 30th, 2023, 11:34 pm

Splintercat wrote:
December 30th, 2023, 5:26 pm
Thanks for posting, Charley! Haven't been on this trail in decades (literally), though I now associate it mainly with the only place in Oregon where a person has been killed by a cougar..! Not sure if you remember that sad event a few years ago. :cry:

Then there's the ghost up on the section by Devils Peak but that's probably another thread... ;)

Tom
My buddy asked if I saw a cougar. I did not! I think about it when I'm in that area.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.