Wahkeena/Multnomah Loop - and trail condition report

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Petr

Re: Wahkeena/Multnomah Loop - and trail condition report

Post by Petr » December 21st, 2023, 9:13 am

Wahkeenanarrow12202023.jpg
Squidvisious was right!.Just above the upper bridge on Wahkeena, it appears to have come from WAY up, Red Shorts could not even see the source.
Wahkeenawide12202023.jpg
He did a lot of clearing and rock moving to decrease the hazards to folks on switchback below.
419closed12202023.jpg
He was coming down Devils Rest 420c when he noticed this NEW flagging closure of 419 at the upper end.
419 above FFalls 12202023.jpg
Red Shorts took a long range picture, thus the bluriness, of the slide above Fairy Falls. He wondered if the trail was now closed because of this slide, maybe it had progressed?
But when he saw the brand new snag breakup, into 4 large pieces, that Squidvisious heard, he supects that 419 may be damaged in more than one place!
Well Jim, where to next?

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » December 21st, 2023, 12:57 pm

Well that's interesting. I actually did see that log in your pictures when I went back to look, but I told myself it must have been from the previous debris that was cleared and it just looked odd because I hadn't looked from that side before.

I really wasn't thinking what I'd heard was a tree, since there was no crack, just one almighty WHUMP and a quick bit of rolling rock.

Ron Goodwin

Post by Ron Goodwin » December 21st, 2023, 8:42 pm

Scenic Area actually hired 2 seasons for this winter trail work. First time in 33 years instead of waiting for summer seasonals. Winter is when things happen especially after a super dry summer season that shrinks the soil so heavy rains cause rock to come loose especially after the fire burned roots are rotting away. No moss either to hold rocks so be careful and bring pictures into the Visitor Center so we can pass the info on.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 29th, 2023, 6:12 pm

So Red Shorts is MCDS?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 29th, 2023, 8:01 pm

Is mcds the person that repaired trails in a manner the FS didn't appreciate?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 29th, 2023, 8:17 pm

ahhh... the last time mcds posted was 2014, a contentious gun thread

gun threads are seldom productive

Petr

Post by Petr » January 1st, 2024, 9:40 am

btw Red Shorts is NOT MCDS.

Red Shorts did get out and up Wahkeena to clean up after the massive east winds of late.
NewCrossingFF123123.jpg
He was glad to see the new crossing below Fairy Falls.
FF123123.jpg
New look of Fairy Falls.
More trees have been dealt with professionally but more remain down and accross the trails above.
Red Shorts appears to have constructed in less than a day this new switchback with a view on lower Primrose Path.
lowerPP sb view123123.jpg
ViewSB123123.jpg
OldFallLine123123.jpg
Last picture is of inerted fall line, Red Shorts takes great care to ensure a lasting structure using natural materials.
The view is quite "airy" but safe for dogs and children, at least with no deep snowpack.
MessUpper PP 123123.jpg
However, Red Shorts ran out of daylight, so he will be back soon to deal with this fresh mess on upper Primrose Path.
He is glad to see so many hikers already using the bluff reroute on uppper Primrose Path and having fun on the S?Y Devil connector. He agrees that more use of these trails will improve peoples health, lead to more funding and access to trailheads, and ,of course, better maintenance of trails.
This barcode is placed at Wahkeena Falls trailhead
Trailbarcode 123123.jpg
Lets help ensure that the new Forest Service winter trail workers are informed of trail needs ASAP and thus have job security for years to come, Red Shorts sure appreciates their help!!!
Well Jim, where to next?