Wilhoit Springs and Metzler Park 11-20-23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Wilhoit Springs and Metzler Park 11-20-23

Post by bobcat » November 24th, 2023, 4:45 pm

I visited these two rural Clackamas County parks to check out new trails built by TKO work parties.

Wilhoit Springs Park

At Wilhoit Springs, I was met by the longtime caretakers. Deborah has been there 45 years, and Steve 27. They gave me the grand tour of the small property, first directing me to the TKO trail, which they called the “birdwatcher’s” trail. This short lollipop runs along Rock Creek under tall Douglas-firs and loops around near the edge of a large meadow.

Park sign, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Trail through the woods, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Methuselah's beard lichen, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Tall Douglas-fir, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
The cottonwood and the field, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg

Then we visited the soda springs themselves. Wilhoit Springs was part of John Wilhoit’s land claim in 1866. Wilhoit sold to Frank McLaren, who developed the site into a mineral spring spa and resort. Between about 1890 and 1915, the rustic attraction, with its two mineral springs, was a very popular tourist destination, with its own 40-room hotel, restaurant, store, post office, bathhouse, separate cottages, and bowling alley. For a time, Wilhoit Springs mineral water was bottled and sold throughout the Pacific Northwest. The hotel burned down in 1916, but McLaren quickly replaced it with a large log structure; however when this replacement also burned down in 1928, the resort was closed. A later owner, the Schoenborn family, constructed a few cabins, but these were destroyed in the Columbus Day Storm of 1962. Clackamas County Parks took over administration of the site in the 1970s. None of the buildings remain except for the house of the former owner, constructed in the 1950s, which now is Deborah and Steve’s home.

We remove the cover of the bubbling spring, and Deborah scooped out three beakers before dipping her cup in and taking a long swig. Both Steve and I followed, and then we drank again. Apparently the taste varies from day to day, with that day being more of a soda flavor than metallic. Steve informed me that below the spring conduit is an 8’ x 8’ x 8’ reservoir. Near the soda spring was a second spring, more heavily laden with minerals and reeking of sulfur. This source now has a concrete cap. Then we walked around to Rock Creek again. A rusting waterwheel lies draped by blackberries. I was told it was brought here from the Mangones Coal Mine, about half a mile upstream on Rock Creek. The mine was protected in the 1940s, but the coal was low grade and the extraction not worth the effort.

Gazebo over the springs, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Deborah scooping, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Soda spring, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
The capped sulphur spring, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Rock Creek, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Mysterious wheel, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg

Our walk ended at a red hand pump on Wilhoit’s old main street, where the hotel and post office once stood.

Maple forest, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
The main alley, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Deer, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Water pump, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg
Stagecoach photo, Wilhoit Springs.jpeg

Metzler Park

This is a full-service park with many amenities, including seasonal campgrounds, a disc golf course, and a ball field. Across a suspension bridge over Clear Creek, however, is a natural hillside of mature Douglas-firs, hemlock, and maple. Probably the star of this area is the swimming hole in Clear Creek, which I visited via a shoreline trail.

Entrance sign, Metzler Park.jpeg
Suspension bridge, Metzler Park.jpeg
Clear Creek downstream from the bridge, Metzler Park.jpeg
At the swimming hole, Metzler Park.jpeg
Spawned out salmon, Metzler Park.jpeg

Then I went up the Swagger Creek Loop. TKO is constructing a connector from here down to the swimming hole trail. Higher up, TKO’s new trail branches off into the north part of the property. This route traverses the slope before switchbacking down near a clearcut. Then it works its way south near the brushy rim of Clear Creek’s mini-gorge. I thought maybe it would connect to the swimming hole, but it loops up to the traverse section, and I returned to the original loop.

View to swimming hole from the connector, Metzler Park.jpeg
Swimming hole area from the North Trail, Metzler Park.jpeg
Douglas-firs, North Trail, Metzler Park.jpeg

TKO has done a good job refurbishing this loop. On the descent near Swagger Creek, the trail has been rerouted closer to the creek and its lovely cedars.

Short-stemmed russula (Russula brevipes), Swagger Creek Loop, Metzler Park.jpeg
Swagger Creek, Swagger Loop, Metzler Park.jpeg
Cedars at Swagger Creek, Swagger Loop, Metzler Park.jpeg