Lava Canyon - Old Road 83 Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ioscode

Lava Canyon - Old Road 83 Loop

Post by ioscode » October 18th, 2023, 6:54 pm

I've had this one on my list for a few years now after finding it here on Oregon Hikers, and finally got around to doing it. It is such a fun hike, and interesting area. The view of the canyon from The Ship is truly amazing and taking a hike just to there and back would be great too.
PXL_20230910_192909201.MPws.jpg
When I got down to the bridge to Smith Creek Trail, someone had written on the sign that the North side of the canyon trail was washed out. I glad to save the backtracking, but not sure how I feel about the sign being written on :D
trailwashoutnote.png
I'm still making videos of my trail reports too if any is interested in seeing all the details of the route.

Webfoot

Re: Lava Canyon - Old Road 83 Loop

Post by Webfoot » October 21st, 2023, 7:55 pm

Thanks for the video. I chickened out of that trail some years back as I am simply not sure footed enough to handle narrow ledges beside a chasm with anything but the best traction. I see that the trail is still a scree covered nightmare. :lol: I appreciate being able to take a vicarious trip along the rest of the beautiful canyon that I did not see.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 22nd, 2023, 1:59 pm

Yes, thanks for the report. Looks like anyone wanting to do that loop in the next few years will have to cross the bridge and ford to get back, which would not be too much trouble in the months you can get up there. Maybe they'll repair the trail on the west side at some point.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » November 13th, 2023, 3:06 am

I just found your Youtube channel by chance today and see a video on this Rd 83 loop hike, and then I come on OregonHikers and see a TR of the same loop hike. I had a feeling it could be you, and what do you know, it was!

When I saw the hikes shown on your channel (some that were more off the beaten track, maybe less well known than most others, hikes further abroad/across a wider range than the immediate area, and/or ones that feel more of a hike someone from this site would know), I had a feeling you could be from OregonHikers. Or at the very least, got a lot of your hikes from here.
- Previously ElementalFX