Fort to Sea - 7-11-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Navigator 2

Fort to Sea - 7-11-09

Post by Navigator 2 » August 11th, 2009, 9:00 am

I'm always so impressed with the off-trail trip reports, but there may be some readers who appreciate an easy, family-friendly hike. With a car shuttle, the route from Fort Clatsop to Sunset Beach is pretty doable for all ages.

Fort to Sea
JULY 11th, 2009

6.5 easy miles
Overcast but nice weather
10 people, 2 dogs
We drove out Hwy. 26, to a parking lot at Sunset Beach where we left a couple of cars, then drove the remaining 2 cars past Seaside to Fort Clatsop. At the fort, we split into 2 groups: some explored the Fort, while others walked down the trail which follows the Lewis & Clark River. Then we all met back at the parking lot and headed east down the trail toward the sea.

We walked through a large area of blow-down. The local signs mentioned a huge storm which passed through the area a few years back taking out a lot a trees for miles around. The fallen trees opened up space for the foxgloves and elderberries to thrive.
Foxgloves 2.JPG
Berries 2.JPG
Dogs are allowed at each end of the trail, but not in the middle section because it’s private grazing land. So at a prominent viewpoint, a couple of hikers returned to the fort in order to drive 2 cars down to the lower lot at Sunset Beach. We wandered through woods with plenty of boardwalks to help us through the skunk cabbage-filled swamps.
Boardwalk 4.JPG
Skunk Cabbage 4.JPG
Frog 2.JPG
We went under a Hwy. 101 overpass and past a pretty, brick church and cemetery.
Church.JPG
The trail turned south and began to open up as we followed fencelines through fields of cattle.
Fence.JPG
We crossed a few bridges over more ponds, swamps, and sloughs.
Bridge 3.JPG
Bridge 2.JPG
We came to an overlook of the beach, but we didn’t want to stop here. After coming all this way, we went down to get our feet wet in the ocean before returning to the parking lot.
Viewpoint.JPG

Splintercat

Re: Fort to Sea - 7-11-09

Post by Splintercat » August 11th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Thanks for the excellent report, Navigator! We've walked the west portion of that trail to the viewing platform, but I think this is the first trip report I've seen for the entire route. Would you mind if I converted the text and photos to a Field Guide description? I found a good trail map on the NPS site.

Tom

Navigator 2

Post by Navigator 2 » August 12th, 2009, 11:17 am

I'd be honored. And I'd like to see the topo; I haven't found a good one yet, but here's the ones you can get at the fort. I don't think they're copywritten since they're free. And here's a few more pix to choose from. I hadn't noticed the engraving on the overpass till now.
Attachments
Map 2.jpg
Map.jpg
Bridge near beach.JPG
Sunset Beach.JPG
Underpass 2.JPG
Foxglove 6.JPG
Cemetary 4.JPG

Navigator 2

Post by Navigator 2 » August 12th, 2009, 11:22 am

Here's a warning, too. There's a kiosk just before the first viewpoint, which I don't seem to have pictures of. There's a hornets' nest near the kiosk. Another hiker told me some people in her group were attacked. We were fine at the VP itself.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 12th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Thanks, Navigator -- I credited the photos I used to our screen name, but let me know if you'd like to have your real name listed, instead. Here's the new hike description:

Fort to Sea Hike

Let me know if you see any needed edits. Thanks for your help!

Tom :)

Navigator 2

Post by Navigator 2 » August 13th, 2009, 9:42 am

Looks like you did your homework. Good to see all the details filled in. I sent the link to my hiking buddies.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 13th, 2009, 11:34 am

Great! I also tossed in the Netul River Trail, since it starts at the same spot, and was well-documented on the NPS site:

Netul River Hike

I think you mentioned that some of your party walked this trail, so let me know if they've got comments on this page, as well -- thanks!

Tom :)